This Golden Dawn graffiti says : ‘Greece belongs to the Greeks. Anarchists and communists, we will turn you into soap’ (like Adolf Hitler did with Jews in the 1940s).
From EnetEnglish in Greece, 23 September 2013:
They are Lieutenant General Yiannis Dikopoulos, inspector general of the police in southern Greece, and Major General Apostolos Kaskanis, general police director of Central Greece.
The two officers submitted their resignations to the public order minister, Nikos Dendias, on Monday.
Both men stated that they were resigning for personal reasons, but their departure is being widely interpreted as being related to revelations into the activities of neonazi Golden Dawn since the murder last week of Pavlos Fyssas by one of its members.
Moreover, the chief of police has suspended four officers and launched a sworn administrative enquiry into an incident on 20 September in Halkida, in Evia.
The officers are accused of failing to intervene at the sight of Golden Dawn members transporting weapons – namely batons, shields and helmets – into the local party offices, which is located a few hundred meters from the police station.
The four officers are also accused of failing to inform their superiors.
The inquiry will also examine whether there were failures in a subsequent police investigation into weapons found during a search of the Golden Dawn offices.
Dendias has also ordered the police’s internal affairs division to investigate whether the force’s ranks have been infiltrated by Golden Dawn.
“In order to facilitate the objectivity” [of] this investigation, the chief of police also announced the transfer of seven officers:
- the major general who heads the security (detective) division of the Hellenic Police
- the colonel in command of the Special Anti-Terrorist Unit (Ekam)
- the colonel who heads the subdirectorate for organised crime and human trafficking of the Attica police directorate
- the lieutenant colonel in charge of the department for arms and explosives of the subdirectorate for state security of the Attica police directorate
- the head of the YAT riot police platoon of Keratsini, whose members were seen throwing stones at demonstrators during the riot on 18 September
- the commander of the Delta motorbike-mounted police unit
- the police chief of Nikea police station
See also here.
Golden Dawn member identified in riot near police lines against anti-fascists: here.
From Dawn of the Greeks blog, 24 September 2013:
Nine hundred migrants have fallen victim to neonazi attacks in the last three years, the head of the country’s Pakistani community has claimed, also accusing police of generally refusing to record racist incidents and, in one case, of joining in on a racist attack by Golden Dawn thugs.
In an interview with Monday’s issue of Eleftherotypia, Javed Aslam said neonazis have “played football with our heads” in scores of incidents that are rarely reported in the media or to the police.
Also from Dawn of the Greeks blog:
On May 8, 2012, the Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece, representing the Greek Jewry, in its press release announced that “the election of the followers of Fascism and Nazism in the Greek Parliament on May 6, was a strong hit against Greek Democracy”, and called upon all democratic forces of the Greek Parliament to join forces in order to “preserve our dignity and safeguard the principles of freedom, democracy and humanism”.
On September 17, 2013, Pavlos Fyssas, a defender of Democracy, was murdered by a sworn follower of Nazism. Our dignity, our freedom, our democracy, our humanism were literally violated. The punishment of the perpetrators is not enough.
We urge the Prime Minister, as well as all the leaders of the democratic parties to work together in the struggle against the “morphemes” of Nazism and Fascism in Greece, to cooperate for the voting of a strong and effective legislation that will combat racism, intolerance and anti-Semitism and undertake all necessary steps in order to ban from contesting elections individuals and / or organizations that profess nazi methods and have committed crimes against Democracy and society. All parties have to turn their promises into legislative action and finally stop those who seek the return of the darkest period of our history.
Those who deny the Holocaust, the ultimate crime against Humanity, do not just preach Anti-Semitism, they incite to hatred against the political opponent, the immigrant, the Roma, the black, the yellow, the DIFFERENT. Pavlos Fyssas was one of the ‘different’, he was a political opponent of Nazism and this is why he was murdered.
It is our duty to defend our dignity, the principles of freedom, democracy and humanism
Athens, September 23, 2013
Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece
Local Golden Dawn office in Ierapetra (Crete) closes after murder of Pavlos Fyssas: here.
Athens: Shop owner kicking a Roma girl with her leg: here.
Strikes and demonstrations against social cuts and fascist terror are continuing in Greece: here.
Golden Dawn popularity in decline following Fyssas murder: here.
Greece anti-fascist protests: share your stories, video and images: here.
- Greeks protest against nazi murder of rapper (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Greece: Police Shake-Up Following Neo-Nazi Murder (israelnationalnews.com)
- Greek police quit after murder (bbc.co.uk)
- Golden Dawn’s Police Escorts to be Withdrawn (greece.greekreporter.com)
- Greek News Roundup 23 Sept 2013 (greeksocialstruggles.wordpress.com)
- Golden Dawn’s rise signals breakdown of the Greek state’s authority | Richard Seymour (theguardian.com)
- Greece launches inquiry into claims Golden Dawn trained by armed forces (theguardian.com)
- Greek far-Right Golden Dawn loses ground after murder of Left activist (nzweek.com)
- Greek police officials resign after allegedly turning a blind eye to Golden Dawn (sofiaglobe.com)
- Senior Cops Quit During Golden Dawn Probe (greece.greekreporter.com)