Dutch clerical sexual abuse survivors get compensation

Sculpture in Maastricht church, photo: ANP

This photo shows a sculpture about clerical sexual abuse in the Basilica of Our Lady, in Maastricht city in the Netherlands.

Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:

Damages for 250 unrecognized abuse victims of the Roman Catholic Church

Today, 00:12

The Roman Catholic Church recognizes a group of about 250 victims of sexual abuse whose complaints were rejected earlier. They will be given compensation.

These are people whose complaints originally were not upheld as there was no supporting evidence for their statements. Their complaints
were quite credible, but other victims of the suspects had not reported the abuse. Therefore there was insufficient evidence.

Compensation scheme

In June it was announced that there would be a compensation scheme for the group. 150 of them have meanwhile through revision, mediation or a settlement received compensation.

The remaining group of 100 victims will now receive compensation, which is between 1,000 and 17,500 euros. That will cost the church nearly a million.

The church has paid some 16 million euros to the victims. More than 1800 complaints had been submitted by January 1, 2015. Nearly 400 complaints still have to be dealt with.

English priest charged with making 3,100 child porn images

This video series says about itself:

Abuse of Trust

31 July 2009

Documentary about Catholic Clerical Child Abuse in Ireland. This documentary focuses on the Dublin Diocese and has interviews from survivors who describe their horrendous experiences of sexual abuse as children, Andrew Madden and Marie Collins. This also interviews the Archbishop of Dublin, Diarmuid Martin.

From daily The Independent in Britain:

Catholic priest Paul Clarke charged with making 3,100 indecent images of children

Police said there was no evidence of local children being involved

Lizzie Dearden

Thursday 8 October 2015 13:15 BST

A 71-year-old Roman Catholic priest has been charged with making 3,100 indecent images of children.

Father Paul Clarke, of Redclyffe Road in Urmston, but formerly of Rye in East Sussex, is due to appear at Brighton Magistrates Court today.

He has been charged with possessing an indecent image of a child, possessing prohibited images, and making a total of 3,100 indecent images of children.

Police searched his former residence at the presbytery of St Anthony of Padua church in Rye on 13 November last year, seizing computers and other alleged evidence.

The Rye News reported that Father Clarke resigned “suddenly” in February, having been at the church since 2009.

British bishop convicted for child abuse

This video from Britain says about itself:

Church Inquiry Into Bishop Peter Ball Abuse Cover Up

The Church of England has announced an independent inquiry into allegations of a cover up of sexual abuse in the church, looking at whether the behaviour of a former Bishop of Gloucester, Peter Ball, was overlooked because of his connections within the church and the establishment.

Originally broadcast on the BBC on October 5th, 2015.

Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:

Years in prison for Anglican bishop because of abuse

Today, 16:53

A former bishop of the Anglican Church in Britain has been sentenced to 32 months in prison for abuse of boys and young men. The 83-year-old Peter Ball has admitted that he abused eighteen victims in the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

The judge said the bishop abused his position. His victims have stated that he was sadistic and mentally abused them as well. One of the victims committed suicide.


In 1993 already a 16-year-old victim went to the police. During the investigation that followed, Ball was supported by parliamentarians, ministers and a member of the royal family, reports The Guardian. Ball eventually got only a warning and he resigned.

In 2012 the police started a new investigation. Ball first tried to evade persecution by saying that his health was too ill to stand trial. The judge did not agree with that. Last month the former bishop admitted the abuse.

Prince Charles denies using influence to protect bishop from sex crimes prosecution. Unnamed member of the Royal Family sent a letter of support for Peter Ball as prosecutors considered putting him on trial: here.

The inertia plaguing historic child sexual abuse investigations of Establishment figures does not bode well for any final resolution, writes Steven Walker: here.

Florida Islamophobe’s crusade against Arabic numerals

This video says about itself:

3 September 2013

Hank unravels the fascinating yarn of how the world came to use so-called Arabic numerals — from the scholarship of ancient Hindu mathematicians, to Muslim scientist Al-Khwarizmi, to the merchants of medieval Italy.

By Tom Boggioni in the USA:

Conservative Florida mom vows to stop her children from learning about Islam and Arabic numerals

06 Oct 2015 at 14:29 ET

A Florida mom posted a rambling 15 minute video to her Facebook account complaining that her son’s high school world history class textbook spends an entire chapter on Muslims and advances in the Islamic world, including the “origin of Ay-rabic numerals.”

According to the post by Christian Kayla Normandin, she had previously promised to share a video detailing objections she has with the history book being used in her son’s class. …

Touching upon developments in education, astronomy, architecture, art, agriculture, science and mathematics in the Islamic world, Normandin drew attention to the development of the Arabic numeric system — the most common numeric system used in the world today.

“It even has the origin of ‘Ay-rabic’ numerals,” she read from the book …

Following her review of the chapter, Normandin asserted, “We need to stand up against this, y’all. Our children don’t need to be taught this. It’s not teaching them facts. It’s not teaching them truth. It’s basically telling them that this is going to be the way of life.”

She went on to state that she will go as far as she needs to go to get the textbook pulled, saying, “My children aren’t going to learn this.”

Arson at liberal London mosque

Morden mosque on fire

From daily The Independent in Britain:

Morden mosque fire: two teenage boys arrested on suspicion of arson

A 16-year-old and a 14-year-old have been detained for questioning over the fire at the mosque in south London

Caroline Mortimer

Sunday 27 September 2015 12:53 BST

Two boys have been arrested on suspicion of arson in connection with a huge fire at Britain’s largest mosque in south London on Saturday.

A 16-year-old and a 14-year-old have been held for questioning over the fire at the Baitul Futuh mosque in Morden, a spokeswoman for Scotland Yard has said.

The blaze began at around midday and was tackled by 70 firefighters.

According to the London Fire Brigade, the fire was confined to an administration building and the mosque itself was undamaged.

There were few worshippers in the mosque at the time of the fire but one man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

The fire is believed to have damaged half of the building’s ground floor.

The mosque was built for the Ahmadiyya Muslim community, an Islamic sect founded in India in the late 19th century, and bears the sect’s motto “Love is for all, hatred is for none.”

It is the largest mosque in Western Europe and can house up to 10,000 worshippers.

Local councillor Imran Udding, whose ward includes the mosque, told the Evening Standard: “The really important thing to note is that the blaze took hold really quickly, but the hall where it started was also evacuated very quickly.

“We need to investigate what happened here. The mosque is very popular in the area. It has a very positive impact. It does a lot of community work.”

He said it “could have been a lot worse” if the fire had struck a day earlier when the mosque was full of worshippers celebrating Eid.

Fareed Ahmed, national secretary for external affairs for the Ahmadi Muslim Community UK, said: “It’s a very difficult time. This is a devastating accident to happen to any mosque.”

Ahmadiyya Islam is considered to be a liberal tendency.

Ahmadiyya Muslims sometimes are attacked by ultra orthodox Muslims.

Now in London apparently the violence is by teenagers who read too much corporate media Islamophobic propaganda which lyingly equates all Muslims with terrorists.

RECENTLY the popular BBC religious affairs programme Songs of Praise broadcast from the migrant and refugee camp in Calais. The outpouring of bile this provoked showed how ugly the debate on asylum and immigration has become in recent years, but the change in public mood in the weeks since then shows that progressives can win our arguments on issues relating to the need to welcome refugees and also to stop the scapegoating of both migrants and refugees for the problems facing “austerity Britain”: here.