Stop European Union anti-refugee policies


This video from Italy says about itself:

Dramatic scenes as stranded African migrants flee Italy police

Italian police today (Tuesday June 16 2015) detained a handful of African migrants in the Italian city of Ventimiglia, near the French-Italian border.

Dozens of African migrants have been stranded for five days, after French police had blocked border crossings.

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Italy: Police drag away refugees camped on French border

Wednesday 17th June 2015

REFUGEES camping on the Italy-France border were removed by Italian police yesterday as European nations failed to reach agreement on sharing responsibility for migrants.

Officers in riot gear dragged away dozens of African refugees at the Ventimiglia border crossing who had been demanding entry to France for five days.

Some of the migrants protested, grabbing on to signposts, while others had to be carried off by their arms and legs.

“We are human beings. We are not animals,” said Sudanese migrant Saddam.

“I know we are black and we are come from Africa, but we are still humans.”

Migrants squatting on the rocks where they had been sleeping were left in peace, but the rest were loaded onto a Red Cross bus and taken to the nearby railway station.

At talks in Luxembourg, EU interior ministers disagreed over how 40,000 new refugees arriving in Italy and Greece should be split up equitably among the EU’s 28 member states to ease the load on the two southern nations.

“We are working to avoid the political bankruptcy of Europe,” said Italian Interior Minister Angelino Alfano, adding that the scene in Ventimiglia was “a punch in the eye for those who refuse to see.”

His French counterpart Bernard Cazaneuve denied that France had closed its border.

“When migrants cross borders and it is established that they arrived in Italy, then it is only normal that they return to Italy,” he said.

Hundreds of Syrian and Iraqi refugees protested on Monday on the eastern Greek island of Lesbos, demanding better living conditions and faster processing of their asylum registrations.

This video from London, England is called No Military Intervention in Libya – Gigi Ibrahim | Stop the War protest, 12 March 2011.

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Save empathy for refugees

Wednesday 17th June 2015

THE forcible arrest of refugees huddled on a stony beach on the Italian-French border yesterday was “a punch in the eye for those who refuse to see,” Italy’s Interior Minister Angelino Alfano says.

Alfano says he hopes talks with ministers from other EU member states will help “avoid the political bankruptcy of Europe.”

Some hope.

Since the 1985 Schengen agreement, which opened borders between core EU states but made it much tougher to gain access from outside the bloc, the institutions of the anti-democratic union have been geared towards creating a “fortress Europe” inaccessible to outsiders.

The Amsterdam Treaty in 1997 effectively criminalised asylum-seekers.

Things have got worse. So far this year almost 2,000 people have died at sea attempting to reach Europe – 10 times the number who died in the same period last year.

Most of those embarking on this desperate journey take ship from Libya.

It’s no wonder people are fleeing Libya for their lives – since Nato‘s blitz on the country four years ago overthrew the Muammar Gadaffi regime it has been torn apart by sectarian warfare, with thousands dying at the hands of religious fanatics.

Of course, Libya is also a transit point for refugees from other countries, because of its proximity to Italy. But if the number of refugees from across the region is rising the causes are not difficult to find. Not content with the carnage unleashed in Iraq and Libya, Western powers – Britain among them – have helped to equip and fund radical Islamists battling to replace Syria’s government with a nightmarish theocracy.

Arms and cash flow to these groups, sometimes from the United States and its Nato allies and more frequently from the autocratic butchers we’ve befriended in the Gulf.

The response from the Western countries setting the world alight to the people seeking safety from the flames is a disgrace.

Home Secretary Theresa May dropped British support for search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean last year, claiming that saving people’s lives simply encouraged people-traffickers.

Then Italy itself ditched its Mare Nostrum patrols, which had saved tens of thousands of lives, replacing them with a pared-down exercise that only operates in Italian waters.

Who announced this change? None other than a certain Angelino Alfano, ignoring warnings from Human Rights Watch and the European Council on Refugees and Exiles that this would see death tolls soar.

But that wasn’t a problem. At least, EU border agency Frontex chief Fabrice Leggeri was quite clear in April that saving drowning refugees was not his priority, telling a British paper that Triton – which replaced Mare Nostrum – “cannot be a search and rescue operation”.

EU interior ministers heading into talks yesterday have talked of the need to “show solidarity” with Italy and Greece as prime arrival-sites, although many dispute the idea that their own countries should agree to take in more “migrants” (never refugees).

Indeed, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve claims Italy needs to show “responsibility” by “organising the return of irregular migrants.”

We should rather show our solidarity with the children, women and men forced to risk everything to get away from murderous wars begun by our governments.

Save the Children CEO Justin Forsyth’s suggestions that Britain should immediately offer a home to 1,500 unaccompanied children who have landed in Italy would be a start, and help to counter a culture where immigrants are scapegoated, incarcerated and demonised by a ruling class determined we should blame anyone but themselves for this country’s problems.

Unless we abandon our addiction to military intervention, the world’s refugee crisis will never come to an end, writes JEREMY CORBYN: here.

Croatian neo-nazi swastika vandalism on international football pitch


This 12 June 2015 football video is called Nazi swastika pattern seen on the field during Croatia vs. Italy Euro qualifier.

From weekly The Observer in Britain:

Croatian president calls for swastika perpetrators to be punished

• Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic: ‘This act has inflicted immeasurable damage’
• Large symbol appeared in the turf before Euro 2016 qualifier with Italy

Saturday 13 June 2015 13.18 BST

The president of Croatia, Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic, has called for a swift investigation and punishment for the people who imprinted a swastika cross on the pitch in Split, where Croatia drew 1-1 with Italy in a Euro 2016 qualifier on Friday.

“This act has inflicted immeasurable damage on the reputation of Croatian citizens and their homeland all over the world. Therefore, we must finally put a stop to such things,” Grabar-Kitarovic said in a statement released on Saturday. “I condemn in the strongest possible terms the swastika on the pitch. I demand an urgent investigation and a decisive response from the relevant institutions to find and process the perpetrators.”

Croatia played Italy behind closed doors at Split’s Stadion Poljud having been handed a one-match ban for racist chants by their fans in March’s 5-1 home win against Norway in Zagreb. That followed incidents during a 1-1 draw against Italy in Milan last November when flares were hurled on to the pitch.

The swastika sign impregnated in the grass through a chemical agent days earlier became visible during the match. The incident left Croatia players and the national governing body, the HNS, fearing drastic punishment from the Uefa.

“This is a clear attack on football and we will without a doubt be severely punished,” the HNS’s secretary-general, Damir Vrbanovic, said on Saturday. “We have all been slapped in the face by hooligans and it was not an accident, it was a calculated move. The cameras will identify the perpetrators, but the shame will stay,” he said.

The result against Italy left Croatia top of Group H with 14 points from six games, two ahead of Italy and four clear of Norway.

Hundreds of refugees drown in Meditteranean, again


This United Nations video says about itself:

Mediterranean Drownings: The High Commissioner’s Comments

15 April 2015

The High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres expressed shock at news from the Mediterranean that hundreds of people were missing after their boat sank and called anew for urgent action to prevent such tragedies in the future.

More than 400 people drown in Mediterranean Sea as ship carrying African migrants from Libya to Italy capsizes: here.

THE UN refugee agency has said once again that not enough is being done to save the lives of the tens of thousands of migrants who are being driven by hunger to try to cross the Mediterranean from Libya to Europe: here.

Four hundred migrants fleeing Libya have reportedly drowned after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean last weekend. A spokesman for the International Organisation for Migration in Italy told Agence France-Presse that survivors reported there were up to 550 people on board when the ship sank. Around a dozen bodies have been recovered so far: here.

Italian colonial war in Libya, yet again?


This video is called Lion of the Desert (1981) Trailer. That film is about Italian dictator Mussolini’s colonial war in Libya.

Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:

Italy ready for military intervention in Libya

Today, 14:58

Italy wants to intervene militarily in Libya soon. Premier Renzi is just waiting for a UN resolution that allows him to send troops. Italians who are still in Libya are asked to leave the country. …

Developments in Libya are traditionally followed closely in Italy. In the first part of the 19th century, Libya was an Italian colony.

NOS TV does not seem to know Italian colonial history well. Libya was an Italian colony, not in ‘the first part of the 19th century’, but in the first part of the 20th century. It became a colony after bloody colonial war by the fascist generals of Italy’s ‘Duce’ Mussolini. About one third of Libyans were massacred.

Mr Renzi also does not seem to know Italian colonial history well. During the second world war, Italy lost Libya as a colony, and then World War II, as not even Adolf Hitler sending general Rommel to Libya was able to keep that African country under Italian colonial rule.

Mr Renzi also does not seem to know recent Italian neo-colonial history well. In 2011, Renzi’s predecessor Silvio Berlusconi along with his NATO allies fought a neo-colonial war, officially ‘about human rights’, in practice about oil, for regime change in Libya. That war led to the present bloody war in Libya, in which half of NATO’s 2011 Libyan allies are now allies of NATO allies Saudi Arabia and Egypt; and the other half are now allies of NATO allies Qatar and Turkey. The two sides kill each other, and mostly civilians. Before the NATO military intervention in Libya, there was no Al Qaeda there. Today, Al Qaeda and similar violent groups are spreading out from Libya to other countries. ISIS terrorists, even worse than Al Qaeda, have a strong presence in the ‘new’ Libya.

Is Mr Renzi really under the illusion that another neo-colonial war would have any better results than previous colonial and neo-colonial wars?

German army association demands massive armaments increase: here.

German President Gauck’s human rights imperialism: here.

Michelangelo bronze sculpture discovery in England


This video from Cambridge University in England says about itself:

Michelangelo bronzes discovered

2 February 2015

It was thought that no bronzes by Michelangelo had survived – now experts believe they have found not one, but two – with a tiny detail in a 500-year-old drawing providing vital evidence. – See more here.

They are naked, beautiful, muscular and ride triumphantly on two ferocious panthers. And now the secret of who created these magnificent metre-high bronze male nudes could well be solved. A team of international experts led by the University of Cambridge and Fitzwilliam Museum has gathered compelling evidence that argues that these masterpieces, which have spent over a century in relative obscurity, are early works by Michelangelo, made just after he completed the marble David and as he was about to embark on the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

If the attribution is correct, they are the only surviving Michelangelo bronzes in the world.