Macrophotographer Wim van Egmond made this video.
This July 2013 video is called Tilos, Greece – Agios Panteleimonas Monastery.
After 10 May 2019 May on Tilos came 11 May.
A woodchat shrike on a wire.
At Agios Antonios, still two squacco herons present.
We followed the mountain road from Agios Antonios to Agios Panteleimonas monastery. Originally from the 15th century, monks no longer live there.
Religious objects are still present.
So are mosaics.
We continued to this viewpoint. On the right of the photo is Megalo Chorio village.
After arrival back in Megalo Chorio: a red admiral butterfly on a wall.
Their colourful feathers made for a beautiful contrast with the vegetation.
First, there were two birds; at several spots.
Then, three birds.
Then, five birds …
… at more than one spot.
They rested a bit during their spring migration from Africa to Europe.
In spite of their name, they eat not just bees, but also insects like wasps and mosquitos. There are many bees on Tilos: beekeepers from other islands like Rhodes and Kos bring their hives to Tilos as there are many flowers for them there.
Bee-eaters were not the only birds that day. A hoopoe joined them …
… until it flew away.
This Associated Press video says about itself:
Plaka, Tilos island, Greece – 6 August 2018
1. Aerial shot turbine
2. Various of wind turbine
3. Cutaway of Greek, EU and Eunice Energy Group flags
4. Various of on-site project manager Spyros Aliferis opening container with batteries
5. Mid of batteries that store energy and later deliver it to the grid of wind turbine on northern tip of Tilos island ++MUTE++
6. Tilt down of cables connecting batteries
7. SOUNDBITE (Greek) Spyros Aliferis, on-site project supervisor for Eunice Energy Group: “The innovation of this program and its funding lies in the batteries, the energy storage, that’s what’s innovative. The energy made by the wind turbines and the photovoltaics will be stored in batteries so that this energy can be used for the grid when there is demand.”
ASSOCIATED PRESS Tilos island – 5 August 2018
8. Aerial of solar panels installed as part of the renewable energy storage project ++MUTE++
9. Mid of solar panels ASSOCIATED PRESS Plaka, Tilos island, Greece – 6 August 2018
11. Various of electricity poles connecting underwater cable to Tilos grid
ASSOCIATED PRESS Megalo Chorio, Tilos island, Greece – 6 August 2018
12. Various of Tilos mayor Maria Kamma working in her office
13. Cutaway of EuroNatur Prize 2009 certificate
14. SOUNDBITE (Greek) Maria Kamma, Mayor of Tilos: “Another factor that prompted us to proceed with this project is that we do believe in renewable sources of energy, and our ability to totally end our dependence on gasoline as a fuel for electricity, which is very harmful for the environment. For many years now, Tilos has plotted a course that is dedicated to protecting the environment. We are seeking visitors, tourists actually, people who will visit our island who love the environment and want to protect it and nature as it was given to us.”
ASSOCIATED PRESS Livadia, Tilos island, Greece – 4 August 2018
15. Aerial of entrance to Livadia harbour ++MUTE++
16. Aerial of rooftops in Livadia with solar panels and solar-powered water heaters ++MUTE++
17. Owner of Sea View Hotel Sevasti Delaporta walking into restaurant to get breakfast ready
18. Various of Delaporta getting things ready for guests
19. SOUNDBITE (Greek) Sevasti Delaporta, owner of Sea View Hotel: “I’m very optimistic about this project because there are few negative consequences, as a business, and for the guests of the hotel that I run. People are pleased with the service because they have no problems with their fridges and they have no problems with their air conditioning. They are happy, things are ok.”
20. Hotel guests having breakfast at the terrace
ASSOCIATED PRESS Livadia, Tilos island, Greece – 5 August 2018 ++MUTE++
21. Aerial of hotels and houses along the seaside
22. Aerial of sea and small boat
23. Aerial of town of Livadia
24. Aerial of surrounding mountains, sun going down
ASSOCIATED PRESS Livadia, Tilos island, Greece – 5 August 2018
25. Wide of main street with tourists and locals
26. Shop sign in main street
27. Various of main square with bars and restaurants
28. Man walking in the street
29. Wide of restaurant outdoor tables
30. Dutch visitor Eva Lemaier, who has been coming to Tilos every summer for 25 years
31. SOUNDBITE (English) Eva Lemaier, Dutch tourist:
After 9 May 2019 on Tilos came 10 May.
In the morning, the sound of bee-eaters on spring migration.
We went from Megalo Chorio to Livadia.
The photos from Livadia in this blog post were made, as an experiment, with a ‘lensbaby‘: a kind of camera lens enabling to make photos in which some parts are focused while other parts are not.
Hooded crows flying along the coast.
A cuttlefish bone and a dead sea star on the beach.
And, of course, the Aegean sea with its stones along the coast.
A barn swallow passes.
This video is called Tilos 2014.
After 8 May 2019 on Tilos island in Greece came 9 May.
Early in the morning, bee-eater sound.
Along a road near Megalo Chorio village, this wild carrot flower.
And this other wild carrot flower.
Back in Megalo Chorio, this supermarket, where you can buy elephants …
… and various food items.
We walked to Agios Antonios.
A clouded yellow butterfly.
A sling-tailed agama on its usual wall.
Along the road, these flowers.
And these flowers.
And this holy orchid with snail.
A house martin flies past.
A hoopoe calls.
In Agios Antonios, two squacco herons fly along the coast.
These trees grow there.
This 11 July 2017 video says about itself:
Always carry a camera! Audouin’s gull – Port de Pollença, Espana
Still 8 May 2019 on Tilos island in Greece. As we walked back from the mountains above Agios Petros bay, we saw these flowers.
Then, a special bird of this rocky area: a Cretzschmar’s bunting.
We passed a house on which an elephant had been painted: reminiscent of the small elephant species living on Tilos until a few thousand years ago.
As we walk back to Megalo Chorio, a Balkan yellow wagtail sits on a fence.
A male Eleonora’s falcon flying.
Holy orchids growing along the road.
So did this poppy and other flowers.
We saw this butterfly, probably a Turkish meadow brown, on this flower.
A chukar partridge flies away.
This is a May 2017 time lapse video about Tilos island in Greece.
After 7 May 2019 on Tilos came 8 May.
We walk from Eristos beach in the direction of Agios Petros beach.
We have to go uphill. A snake-eyed lizard along the footpath.
A clouded yellow butterfly.
Then, we see this little owl again.
Then, this goat.
And these flowers.
And this bird on its spring migration: a spotted flycatcher.
Some more goats.
Barn swallows on migration, resting on branches.
Stay tuned, as there will be more on 8 May 2019 on Tilos.