British bishop convicted for child abuse

This video from Britain says about itself:

Church Inquiry Into Bishop Peter Ball Abuse Cover Up

The Church of England has announced an independent inquiry into allegations of a cover up of sexual abuse in the church, looking at whether the behaviour of a former Bishop of Gloucester, Peter Ball, was overlooked because of his connections within the church and the establishment.

Originally broadcast on the BBC on October 5th, 2015.

Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:

Years in prison for Anglican bishop because of abuse

Today, 16:53

A former bishop of the Anglican Church in Britain has been sentenced to 32 months in prison for abuse of boys and young men. The 83-year-old Peter Ball has admitted that he abused eighteen victims in the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

The judge said the bishop abused his position. His victims have stated that he was sadistic and mentally abused them as well. One of the victims committed suicide.


In 1993 already a 16-year-old victim went to the police. During the investigation that followed, Ball was supported by parliamentarians, ministers and a member of the royal family, reports The Guardian. Ball eventually got only a warning and he resigned.

In 2012 the police started a new investigation. Ball first tried to evade persecution by saying that his health was too ill to stand trial. The judge did not agree with that. Last month the former bishop admitted the abuse.

Australian pro-refugee rallies, 11 October

This 7 September 2015 video is called Australia says refugees are welcome.

From daily News Line in Britain:

Wednesday, 7 October 2015


AUSTRALIANS will be hitting the streets in their thousands in cities and towns across the country on Sunday, 11th October in opposition to the government’s inhumane treatment of refugees in detention centres both on Australian soil and offshore on Manus Island and Nauru.

There will be mass rallies at 11am on Sunday in Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Darwin, Brisbane, and Adelaide. In the capital Canberra, whistleblower Tobias Gunn, a former Save the Children worker who has seen the deplorable conditions on Nauru first hand, will be one of the speakers at the main rally.

Gunn will be speaking out against the horrors of detention on Manus Island and Nauru. These include the physical, psychological and sexual abuse of men, women and children, and the silencing of doctors and other workers from speaking out about this abuse through the use of the draconian Border Force Act.

Refugee Action organisers declare: ‘Bring your friends and family or link up with one of the many groups attending and representing the diversity of Canberra’s community standing up for refugees. ‘Union contingents like CPSU, NTEU, IEU (Independent School Teachers), Nurses, AEU (public school teachers) and AMWU will be there.

‘There is a more humane, cost-effective, practical and proven alternative to the government’s cruel policy of deterrence. ‘It’s based on the system Australia operated in the 1970s and 1980s to eventually resettle more than 100,000 Indochinese refugees. Join us! Stand up for refugees and tell Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and the government that there is a better way and that Australia needs to completely abandon its shameful and inhumane refugee policy.’

Refugee Action are demanding:
• NO Turnbacks
• Close Manus & Nauru
• NO Border Force Act
• End Mandatory Detention’

Ahead of Sunday’s demonstration, the Melbourne Refugee Action Collective issued an Open Letter to the Refugee Movement. Entitled Kids Out, All Out! it stated: ‘Everyone wants children out of detention. The Australian Human Rights Commission report, “The Forgotten Children 2014”, which was released in early 2015, renewed interest in and drew attention to the situation of children in detention.

‘As a result, we have seen the formation of groups such as “Grandmothers Against Detention of Refugee Children”. The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre has “Kids Out” as one of its key campaigns. Since the election of Malcolm Turnbull, the Greens have also prioritised the focus on children. Their spokesperson Adam Bandt said a key test for Turnbull would be “Releasing children who are locked up in detention”.

‘And “GetUp’s” campaigner Shen Narayanasamy recently argued: “People might be swayed by the Stop the Boats rhetoric, but they draw the line at child abuse”.

But the truth is that there are few children in detention even if you count Nauru as well, where there were 87 as of July. The issue for children on Nauru is not detention per se, it is the fact that they are incarcerated on Nauru.

‘Getting them out of detention, only to leave them on Nauru would be worse than an empty victory. Keeping families and children on Nauru is still child abuse. By continuing to focus on “children in detention”, there is a serious risk of both disorienting the people in those groups and also misdirecting their significant energy and mobilising ability.

‘Limiting the focus to children, inadvertently actually limits the impact on the government. The fact is that the government is getting children out of detention including significant numbers out of detention on Nauru. Things have moved on since the “Forgotten Children”. To end the abuse of children, we have to end offshore processing and close Nauru.

‘It is time to campaign for what we really mean – close Manus, close Nauru. We also need to end mandatory detention, onshore as well as offshore. So long as the architecture of detention and deterrence exists, there is always a risk that children and others will be detained again in the future. Detention is not OK for anyone. It is understandable that people think campaigning for children is a relatively soft target, that can appeal to a much wider layer than “end offshore processing”.

‘It is also sometimes argued that “children out” is only a first step; and that the groups will then go on to campaign against offshore processing after “children out” is achieved. But that is not the way politics works. When (former Autralian premier) Howard released the children from detention in 2005, “ChildOut” folded. There are ways to tap into concerns about children in detention without disarming the campaign groups. Our slogans have to be “Free the Children; Free Everyone; Close Manus & Nauru; End Offshore processing”.

‘With the ascension of Turnbull it is essential that we don’t sell the campaign short. More and more people see through the Liberals’ “Stop the Boats” slogan. More than ever we have to demand: “Stop the abuse – free ALL the refugees”.’ The detention centre on the South Pacific island nation of Nauru was opened in 2001 for up to 800 people and the use of immigration detention facilities is now part of a policy of mandatory detention in Australia.

On 19 July 2013 there was a major riot in the detention centre with several buildings destroyed by fire. A TV programme on sexual assault allegations on Nauru last week lifted the lid on the scale of abuse women are suffering there. In one case, it was shown that the Australian government, Border Force, and IHMS (the medical provider on Nauru) have ignored the request for a termination by a 23-year-old Somali woman who became pregnant after a sexual assault. She is now 10 weeks pregnant.

‘The need for action by the government to meet her request grows more urgent by the day,’ said Ian Rintoul, spokesperson for the Refugee Action Coalition. Despite her requesting a termination for weeks, the woman is now 10 weeks pregnant. It is simply unbelievable that health authorities have not acted sooner. She is in a fragile state, yet those who have a duty of care are recklessly playing with her mental and physical health.’

The woman, known as Najma on the TV programme, should be brought to Australia immediately, he insisted. ‘Najma lives in daily terror,’ said Rintoul, ‘Like other refugee women in the community on Nauru, she is completely vulnerable. Many of the refugee houses are remote; have no lighting and no security. Like so many others, the perpetrators of her assault remain at large. Their houses are not secure; the door locks can be, and often are, slipped with a knife blade, leaving them exposed to assault and theft.

‘Many of the Somali women refugees on Nauru have been found to be refugees because they have been victims of sexual abuse. Najma was held captive by a rebel Somali group in 2004 and 2005 and was sexually assaulted and abused over those two years and her suffering didn’t stop then. Rather than finding protection on Nauru, Najma is facing the same kind of persecution she faced in Somalia.

‘The government has been aware of the shocking rate of sexual abuse on Nauru for a long time. One Iranian rape victim was kept on Nauru from May until August before finally being brought to Australia. She is still waiting for her family to join her. The Australian government has created a living hell for Najma and others on Nauru. Nauru is not safe, and must be closed.

‘Malcolm Turnbull has made concern about domestic violence a hallmark of the new government. The violence against women on Nauru is as bad as the domestic violence in Australia. It is violence that the government is ultimately responsible for. The Prime Minister has the power to immediately to end the violence against the refugee women on Nauru. The only question is, will he?’

Afghan hospital bombed, Doctors Without Borders distrusts Pentagon investigation

This Reuters video says about itself:

MSF says Kunduz hospital bombing could be a ‘war crime

6 October 2015

Aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres dismisses claims that an air strike on an Afghan hospital was targeting militant fighters. Rough cut (no reporter narration).

Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:

Suspicious MSF/Doctors Without Borders demands independent investigation about Kunduz

Today, 13:36

MSF demands an independent investigation into the bombing of a hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz. The organization has no faith in the investigations which the United States, NATO and Afghanistan have announced.

When the bombardment happened last Saturday, 22 people were killed. US warplanes targeted the clinic. Initially it was said that this occurred at the request of the Afghan government, but now the US has said that the US military itself commanded this. General Campbell has acknowledged that the attack was a mistake.

Special commission

MSF calls the attack a war crime and wants a special committee to do the fact-finding. This committee, the IHFFC, was established in 1991 to investigate serious violations of international law and derives from the Geneva Conventions. Up to now, the committee has never been deployed.

The founding treaty of the committee is signed by 76 countries. The United States and Afghanistan are not amongst them. The committee can only get to work if all parties agree.

See also here.

Canadian Conservative says don’t vote for racist Prime Minister Harper

This video from Canada says about itself:

5 October 2015

Danny Williams launched his latest scathing attack against Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party of Canada. To read the full story: here.

By James Tweedie:

Canada: Harper accused of racism by leading MP in his own party

Wednesday 7th October 2015

Top Tory slams Islamophobia and urges voters to back rivals

A LEADING Canadian Tory urged voters on Monday not to back his party’s “racist” leader Stephen Harper in this month’s elections.

Former Newfoundland and Labrador premier Danny Williams laid into the current prime minister’s Islamophobic policies in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Mr Harper’s government has launched a campaign against the Muslim veil and what he calls “barbaric cultural practices.”

“He doesn’t care if he isolates the issues of women or if he isolates the issue of minorities and even crosses, possibly, that racism line,” said Mr Williams.

On Friday, the Conservatives unveiled their plans to set up a $20 million (£10m) dedicated hotline to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Under the plan, citizens would be urged to report such “cultural practices” as polygamy, forced or child marriage, sexual slavery, genital mutilations and “honour killings,” all of which are illegal in Canada and can be reported, like other crimes, by dialling the normal emergency number 911.

On Monday, the government lost its appeal against an earlier ruling overturning its requirement that Muslim immigrant women remove the veil while swearing the citizenship oath.

Just two women out of more than 650,000 people have chosen not to proceed to the citizenship ceremony based on the requirement to remove their face coverings. However, it’s not known how many women have been put off seeking citizenship because of the measure.

“Why is that a national issue?” asked Mr Williams.

“It’s all about getting elected, at the end of the day,” he said. “If that’s the price we have to pay in order to have Stephen Harper as our prime minister, then we should not vote for Stephen Harper.”

Mr Williams urged Canadians to vote for other parties or to abstain in the October 19 general election, saying: “If you can’t vote Liberal or New Democrat, then don’t vote for him, don’t vote at all, because he’s bad for the country.”

The Liberals and Tories are neck-and-neck in the polls, with the New Democrats — who have a strong base in French-speaking Quebec — trailing in third place.

Last month, Mr Harper faced flak for references to “old-stock Canadians” and his government’s refusal to grant asylum to the family of drowned Syria toddler Aylan Kurdi.

With “old-stock Canadians” Harper did not mean native Canadians who are discriminated against.

Nazi arson maybe killed refugee in Germany

This video from Saalfeld in Germany, about people welcoming about 560 refugees at the railway station, says about itself:

5 September 2015

Say it loud, Say it clear – Refugees are welcome here.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is also at least one murderous anti-refugee neo-nazi in Saalfeld.

From Reuters news agency:

One dead in blaze at German asylum shelter, police say

20:45 GMT, 5 October 2015

A person died on Monday in a fire at an shelter for asylum seekers in the east German city of Saalfeld …

Several refugees have previously been injured, but none killed, in dozens of arson attacks on asylum shelters in the past few months.

A police spokesman in Saalfeld, in the Thuringia region, said the cause of the fire was still being investigated and the identity of the victim was also initially unclear. Media said it was a young man from Eritrea.