To all people reading this blog especially for the series on the birds and other wildlife of the Arctic Svalbard archipelago: don’t despair. It will continue as soon as many photos will be sorted out!
This video is about Tiengemeten island.
Saturday 16 June 2013.
Near the ferry to the island, a great crested grebe swims.
Swifts fly overhead.
On the bank of Tiengemeten, three little egrets clean their feathers.
A whitethroat sings.
On the ferry, it had rained, like last time I was on the island. However, the rest of the day, the weather is sunny, with much wind.
Barn swallows nest in the visitors’ centre.
Great tit sounds.
In a reed bed, a reed warbler song.
Tufted ducks. And common pochards.
Avocets on a bank.
A great cormorant, and barnacle geese flying.
The first butterfly of today: a common blue.
A skylark sings.
A northern lapwing.
Our second butterfly: a small heath.
A common tern flying.
On an islet in the lake, a small avocet chick walking.
A reed bunting sings.
A marsh harrier.
Then, our third butterfly … really, a moth: a cinnabar moth.
Then, something special. A bittern, flying against the wind, so: slowly, to the left.
Hear a bittern call here.
Garden tiger moth caterpillars cross the footpath.
A spoonbill flying.
A big group of gadwall ducks resting.
Grey lag geese.
Near the hide, a kestrel standing almost still in the air, despite the wind.
Four barnacle geese couples swimming together, with two goslings per couple each.
Two black-tailed godwits flying and calling.
Egyptian geese standing on a sandbank.
A flock of over a hundred starlings.
- Midnight sun Spitsbergen birds (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Cuckoo, linnet, and purple heron (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bar-headed geese, fox, harrier, grebe chicks (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bluethroat, avocets, black-winged stilts (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Svalbard ptarmigans love story (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- To Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Arctic (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Svalbard phalaropes, snow buntings, and king eiders (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Snow buntings in Spitsbergen (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Spitsbergen ptarmigan, and hunting (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Avocet on Tuc Lake by Ed (oliverphotoclub.wordpress.com)