The wardens of desert island Rottumeroog reported recently about how island wildlife reacted to the unusually cold spring this year.
Much about the birds’ nesting season is still unclear, as the wardens don’t want to disturb nesting birds. So, this year, when almost everything happens later than normally because of the spring cold weather, bird nesting surveys were postponed.
Late butterflies may be linked to late flowers this year. The first dune pansy flower, was on 1 May; on 2011 on 12 April. The shore bindweed started flowering on 28 June; 20 May in 2011. The first flixweed flowers were on 30 June; vs. 1 June in 2011.
April 2018 update: here.
- Bittern, avocet chick, butterflies (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bringing Birds To the Garden (forestgardenblog.wordpress.com)
- Birds of Terschelling island, the Netherlands (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Young black-headed gulls learn to fly (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Sunken Gardens (tampabayimages.wordpress.com)
- Beautiful Butterflies (georgiabackyardnature.com)
- The beautiful butterflies which look like exotic plants as they descend on flowers to feed (dailymail.co.uk)
- Puffins and Coquet Island – summer wildlife spectacle (tammytourguide.wordpress.com)
- Glasswings: Story and Craft with Elisa Kleven (albanylibrary.wordpress.com)