Manolada victims detail grim conditions
Posted on 26/04/2013 by icantrelaxingreece
Migrant strawberry pickers confirm that they hadn’t been paid in six months and that the foremen shot at them on the third day of a protest, when they expressed a willingness to go on strike
Eleven-hour working days, seven days a week. A place to sleep in a shack with no running water, heating or toilets. And all for a free meal and the promise of €22 a day. But in reality, you were left without a cent for your work for over six months.
Deutsche Welle: Racism increases in Greece: here.
Two policemen suspended, charged with battery of an Afghani national: here.
Southern Greece: a journalist attacked by neo-nazis in the hospital of Tripolis: here.
Dawnofthegreeks blog writes about this video:
The personnel of the General hospital of Samos island refused to facilitate the racist blood donating campaign “blood only for Greeks” which was organized by the neo-nazi party Golden Dawn yesterday. The people on the video mentioned that blood donating is a humanitarian act to every person who needs it, no matter what ethnicity, skin colour, language etc…
A 23 years old woman died yesterday on April 29 after being in coma since April 9 in the hospital. She had been brutally attacked by her partner. The perpetrator, well known to the greek authorities for his “political activities”, he is photographed by the Greek media these days as a member of Golden Dawn. According the greek media the perpetrator was also involved in a murderous attack against communist party (KKE) members before the last elections at the main square of Agia Paraskevi (suburb of Athens). Till now ge is not arrested by the police: here.
A Golden Dawn MP reportedly struck a 12-year-old girl on Thursday while attempting to assault Athens mayor Yiorgos Kaminis after the mayor successfully stopped a Greeks-only food handout on Syntagma Square by the extreme right party: here. And here.
Greece found guilty of violating immigrants’ human rights: here.
Walls across Attiki (Athens) and the city of Patras were pasted with 2,000 copies of this poster. The reason that kitchen and home delivery workers at ‘pizza fan’ stores (pizza franchise chain in Greece) made this flyposting was to speak about the death of Bulgarian-born Radka Nikolova at work in the Patras pizza fan store on Aghias Sofias street. Her death was largely and conveniently attributed to heart condition. However, the poster text describes the working conditions during the morning shift (i.e. when Radka lost her life): here.
Greece: The bill for the penal treatment of racist violence and xenophobia that was being promoted by the ministry of Justice gets – at least for now – frozen: here.
Golden Dawn MP stopped from taking gun into parliament: here.
- Workers shot in Greece for protesting unpaid wages (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Workers shot in Greece, update (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- At least 28 immigrants shot at Greece strawberry plantation after not being paid for six months (rt.com)
- News to Me: Bangladeshis Get Bullets For Asking For Unpaid Wages In Greece (politicalcrazyness.tumblr.com)
- Manolada: Shots fired on immigrant workers when they asked their wages; 28 hospitalized (keeptalkinggreece.com)
- 28 migrant workers working at a strawberry farm in Manolada, Greece have been shot because they demanded to get paid, after six months of unpaid work (refreshingnews99.blogspot.in)
- Greece’s modern slavery: lessons from Manolada (newstatesman.com)
- Greece: Farmer shoots 30 unpaid Bangladeshi migrant workers when they demand pay (revolutionaryfrontlines.wordpress.com)
- Strawberries & Scream (stuartwilde.com)