Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:
Sunday 6 Oct 2013, 16:47
An international trade union delegation including Dutch construction workers union FNV Bouw will go to Qatar to inspect the working conditions of construction workers. Qatar, the World Cup 2022 hosts, does not want to receive the delegation. Delegation members are also banned from visiting any construction projects.
The [original] program included a meeting with the Minister of Labour and with a committee of FIFA. The delegation members, including Janna Mud of FNV Bouw, will still try to have a look take at stadium construction.
This week came the news that due to poor working conditions at least 70 Nepalese construction workers were killed.
- Nepalese workers dying in Qatar (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Qatar slave labourers dying (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Qatar princes get richer, workers die (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- FIFA ‘holds’ crunch talks – Qatar rights storm (arabtimesonline.com)
- Will Qatar’s World Cup be built on a graveyard? | Nick Cohen (theguardian.com)
- Qatar under pressure over migrants (theguardian.com)
- FIFA on defensive over Qatar labour rights (dailystar.com.lb)
- Trade unionists protest outside FIFA over Qatar workers (sbs.com.au)
- Qatar World Cup construction ‘will leave 4,000 migrant workers dead’ (theguardian.com)