This morning, the usual bird species around and on the balcony feeders.
Like blue tits.
Many great tits. Some of them, the radio said, may have come all the way from Russia. There is unusually big great tit migration from eastern Europe to western Europe now.
A wood pigeon. A couple of magpies. A jackdaw.
Then, a first for the balcony. A male great spotted woodpecker!
This video is about an adult great spotted woodpecker feeding its young in a garden.
A bit later, a male chaffinch looks for seeds on the balcony floor. Only the second time that I saw this species here.
- How to attract birds into your garden this winter (telegraph.co.uk)
- Ecologists preparing for boom in urban wildlife ‘invaders’ (guardian.co.uk)
- A Visitor at Dawn (amras888.wordpress.com)
- Nuts (ja2da.com)
- 20 October 2013 (cotswoldwaterpark.wordpress.com)
- Great tit on my balcony (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- 24 October 2013 (cotswoldwaterpark.wordpress.com)
- Woodpecker stories (lathallaneco.wordpress.com)
- Collared doves on my balcony (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- A Greater Spotted Woodpecker and Continental Blackbirds (parrotletsuk.typepad.com)