This video is called Radiating the People: Fukushima’s Cancer Legacy.
It says about itself:
11 Nov 2013
The Journeyman Weekly: 5 stories every Monday showcasing the best investigative reports from around the world.
It’s what post-Fukushima Japan fears the most; cancer. Amid allegations of government secrecy, worrying new claims say a cancer cluster has developed around the radiation zone and that the victims are children.
In a private children’s hospital well away from the no-go zone, parents are holding on tight to their little sons and daughters hoping doctors won’t find what they’re looking for. Thyroid cancer. Tests commissioned by the local authorities have discerned an alarming spike here. Experts are reluctant to draw a definitive link with Fukushima, but they’re concerned. “I care because I went to Chernobyl and I saw each child there, so I know the pain they went through”, says Dr Akira Sugenoya, a former thyroid surgeon.
What terrifies parents most is a government they feel they can’t trust. It’s created a culture of fear; one which has led a number of women post-Fukushima to have abortions because they were worried about birth defects.
“The doctors in Fukushima say that it shouldn’t be coming out so soon, so it can’t be related to the nuclear accident. But that’s very unscientific, and it’s not a reason we can accept”, Dr Sugenoya insists. “It was disclosed that the Fukushima health investigation committee was having several secret meetings. I feel the response has been unthinkable for a democratic nation“, Dr Minoru Kamata from the Japan Chernobyl Foundation says.
Radiation 36,000 times permissible level found in water at Fukushima plant — Mainichi: here.
Japan to spend $970mn on storing radioactive Fukushima soil: here.
Japan should embrace nuclear power, government panel says — Reuters: here.
- Fukushima disaster update (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- High thyroid cancer rates detected in Fukushima children (abc.net.au)
- Japan Reacts to Fukushima Crisis By Banning Journalism (washingtonsblog.com)
- Yakuza gangsters ‘clean up’ Fukushima, oppress workers (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Fukushima pollutes environment and civil liberties (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- TV: “A new and disturbing development” around Fukushima – Worrying claims of ‘cancer cluster’ emerging – Specialists deeply concerned (VIDEO) (nuclear-news.net)
- Japan’s billion-dollar plan to store its contaminated Fukushima dirt (techi.com)
- Japan’s Deadly New ‘Fukushima Fascism’ (my.firedoglake.com)