Today, the coots’ nest under the bridge, not so far from where I live.
One adult coot sitting on the nest. Wings spread out.
Very probably, to keep new-born chicks warm. As one chick stood besides its parent. The other, non-nesting, swimming parent fed it.
The chick was so small, that it may have hatched today, or yesterday.
When I returned later, still, or again, one chick besides the nesting adult. Soon, it crept under it parent’s wing. As it is a bit of a rainy day today.
- Courting Coots (lagill6.wordpress.com)
- Birds, flowers and horsetails (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Turnstone in summer plumage, photo (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Two Coots Eating an Apple (andrewhammel.typepad.com)
- Wild Bird Wednesday: American Coots (prairiebirder.wordpress.com)
- Birders abuzz as first eaglets since 1955 hatch on Lake Ontario’s north shore (ctvnews.ca)