This video is called NATO airstrike kills Afghan children.
KABUL Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:14pm GMT
Afghanistan‘s president Hamid Karzai said U.S. forces had bombed a home in Helmand killing a small child and wounding two women on Thursday and condemned the attack as another sign of disregard for civilian life, his spokesman said.
The strike could not have come at a worse time, as Karzai is engaged in a stand-off with the American government over a bilateral security agreement that will help shape the presence of U.S. troops in Afghanistan after 2014.
KABUL, Afghanistan — The American military commander called President Hamid Karzai to apologize for a drone strike in southern Helmand Province, which the military conceded had killed and wounded civilians, a coalition official said on Friday: here.
Despite strong objections from President Hamid Karzai, the United States insists that Afghanistan must sign, as written, a Bilateral Security Agreement that sets the framework for another decade of US occupation of that war-torn nation. According to the terms of the proposed accord, the United States will be able to maintain up to nine military bases, along with 8,000–12,000 troops (and a smaller contingent of European and other forces), through 2024. Over Afghan opposition, the agreement states that US troops will not be subject to Afghan law for criminal acts – even war crimes. Among the sensible points raised at the eleventh hour by Karzai: that US forces be prohibited from conducting night raids of Afghan homes and that Washington start peace talks between Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Taliban: here.
Civilian drone deaths triple in Afghanistan, UN agency finds: here.
When most U.S. forces leave Afghanistan, contractors may stay: here.
Afghans’ Planned Prisoner Releases Anger U.S.: here.
- Afghanistan: U.S. ambassador says onus is on Karzai to sign pact (latimes.com)
- Hamid Karzai says US bombing killed child and injured women (theguardian.com)
- Afghan President condemns U.S. air strike that kills child, wounds 2 women (theglobeandmail.com)
- US says may pull out all troops as Afghan leader holds up deal – Reuters (reuters.com)
- U.S., Afghanistan Appear Farther From Deal Amid Conditions Including End To Military Raids (huffingtonpost.com)
- Karzai again accuses Western forces of attacking Afghan civilians (latimes.com)
- US Drone Kills Two Women, Child in Attack on Afghan Home (news.antiwar.com)
- Karzai strongly condemns US drone attack (worldbulletin.net)
- General apologizes for Afghan airstrike (triblive.com)
- Afghan president condemns US airstrike that killed a child, two women (dnaindia.com)