This video is called Over 73 Million Sharks Killed Every Year for Fins.
From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Government bans ‘shark finning‘
The practice of shark “finning,” or slicing off a shark’s fins and throwing it back to die slowly on the ocean floor, has exploded worldwide thanks to demand from China, where shark fin soup is considered a delicacy.
The Environment Ministry said fishermen found with detached fins now face up to seven years in prison.
Seized shark fins dumped in Pacific ceremony: here.
November 2013: Unscrupulous shark-finners now bring ashore shark fins attached to their skeleton in order to get around the ban on finning at sea that most countries have now adopted, which states the fins of the shark must be ‘naturally attached’ to the body. This move to strip it of its bulky flesh and just leave it flimsily attached to its spinal cord means that, like before, the finners can still fill their boats with hundreds of fins: here.
Have We Saved the Sharks? Reports of dramatic declines in shark fin soup consumption may be too good to be true: here.
- India bans shark ‘finning’ to protect species (thehindu.com)
- India bans shark ‘finning’ (cbc.ca)
- I Know the Human Being and Fish Can Coexist Peacefully (crooksandliars.com)
- Stop the cruel practice! (thehindu.com)
- Costa Rica shark finners have gory new technique to skirt the law (insidecostarica.com)
- Gory Loophole Allows Costa Rica Shark Finning (costaricantimes.com)
- 7 Alarming Facts About the Shark Fin Trade (onegreenplanet.org)
- Thousands of Dolphins Slaughtered for Bait To Make Shark Fin Soup (friendseat.com)
- Creative Social Awareness Campaigns Help Make Shark Fin Soup Unpopular in China (onegreenplanet.org)