Turkish Northern Bald Ibis fly south
Tue, Aug 13, 2013
Following a successful breeding season for the semi-wild Northern Bald Ibis population at Birecik, Turkey, six of the birds were released as part of trial re-introductions work in late July. A dedicated team first caught up all the birds for the annual ringing/check of the birds at the Birecik ‘Kelaynak’ breeding station run by the Turkish Ministry of Nature Protection and National Parks, and six were selected for release in the hope that they would survive and migrate. Three were fitted with satellite transmitters, and to reduce the chance of persecution, their bright rings were replaced with much less conspicuous ones. Four of the birds were 2013 juveniles, and in addition, two one-year old birds were also released.
For the first two weeks, the birds remained very close to the breeding station, feeding at a number of local sites in the area, as well as taking supplementary food provided. This week, however, excitement mounts as five of the birds have departed south, and the intriguing news is that they have stopped off very close to Palmyra in Syria, where the remaining wild population there has this year sadly declined to just one individual.
Whether the birds will stay in the area or continue their ‘migration’ further south, we will find out from the satellite signals. The work was recommended as a priority at last year’s inaugural meeting of the AEWA International Working Group for Northern Bald Ibis, held at Jazan in Saudi Arabia and by the International Advisory Group for Northern Bald Ibis. Several partners are involved in the work in addition to the Turkish Ministry, with satellite tags provided by Doğa Derneği (BirdLife in Turkey), with Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation and RSPB (BirdLife in the UK) support.
This news is brought to you by the BirdLife Preventing Extinctions Programme.
- Still beauty in science, and the Ibis’ Migration. (misjpmovesthings.wordpress.com)
- The New Flight of the Ibis – Issue 3: In Transit (nautil.us)
- English corncrake news (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Turkish Bird Spy Cleared Of Suspicion, Released (americanlivewire.com)
- Gallery: Youngsters inspired by bird ringing demonstrations at Minsmere (eadt.co.uk)
- Hen harrier close to extinction in England, says RSPB (theguardian.com)
- ‘Extinction threat’ to hen harriers (bbc.co.uk)
- Beautiful Ibis (lariatsandlavender.blogspot.com)