Mon, Jan 14, 2013
OTOP (BirdLife in Poland), Aquatic Warbler singing
The numbers of Aquatic Warblers are declining in Europe mainly due to habitat loss and speeded up by changes in water management. The Polish Society for the Birds Protection (OTOP, Birdlife Partner) started a project to protect Aquatic Warbler back in the 1990s and conservation measures have focused on two big projects financed by the LIFE Programme.
In 2012, OTOP conducted a national Aquatic Warbler count, in which birds were counted not only in the places where conservation measures, like mowing and bush removal are taking place, but also at smaller sites throughout Poland. During these counts, thanks to an enormous effort of over 120 volunteers, OTOP now estimates the population at 3,256 male birds. This result supersedes the count in both 2007 and 2009; so it seems the decline has stopped.
Compared to other countries it appears like the Polish population of Aquatic Warblers is the only one that is stable. In Belarus and Lithuania the population decreased in 2012. Fortunately, conservation measures of restoration or increasing the quality of habitats are being implemented also there. In Germany, after several years of absence, three singing males have been observed in the Lower Odra Valley. Due to lack of research the situation of the species in the Ukraine and Russia is not known at the moment.
For more information, please contact Antoni Marczewski, Responsible for Communications at OTOP (BirdLife in Poland).
- A brighter future for Europe’s rarest migratory songbird Aquatic Warbler, the rarest passerine bird in mainland Europe, is facing a brighter future thanks…
- Timor Bush-warbler rediscovered A paper published online in BirdLife’s journal, Bird Conservation International reports the rediscovery of the…
- Universities invest in Seychelles Warbler research Nature Seychelles (BirdLife Partner) has received a total of £40,000 to renovate the Cousin Island…
- Prothonotary warbler nest boxes in the USA (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Clamorous reed warblers in Bahrain (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Black-throated Green Warbler (charleymckelvy.wordpress.com)
- Warbler makes rare P.E.I. appearance (cbc.ca)
- Wood warblers- shiny ornaments for wild trees (onelookout.com)
- What Is Killing the Songbirds? (abcnews.go.com)
- The Ten Most Endangered Birds In The USA (newbillthurman.wordpress.com)
- Warbler in December (michaelqpowell.wordpress.com)
- Blackcaps, real ‘angry birds’ (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)