Here are some of the paintings which I saw during the exhibition Painting Canada – Tom Thomson and The Group of Seven in Groningen, the Netherlands.
This is Burnt Country, Evening by Tom Thomson, from 1914.
This is Winter, Quebec by A. Y. Jackson from 1926.
In Canada, the country of his birth, Alex Colville was the best known living artist until his death July 16, 2013 at the age of 92. For those outside Canada, there is still a good chance you have seen a Colville painting at some point, if only in passing: here.
- What’s hot in Toronto, Nov. 3 – 9: Catch the Weeknd this weekend (theglobeandmail.com)
- Canadian art that wowed Europe returns home (cbc.ca)
- Photos: Behind the scenes of the Tom Thomson documentary (macleans.ca)
- The Group of Seven are coming home (macleans.ca)
- Classic Canadiana on display at Heffel (vancouversun.com)
- Let us give thanks for Tom Thomson and his art (theglobeandmail.com)
- Searching for Tom Thomson’s Autumn’s Garland… (annahergert.wordpress.com)
- Tom Thomson appears in newly unearthed pictures (theglobeandmail.com)
- Sotheby’s to auction Canadian art worth up to $11 million (metronews.ca)