This video is about humpback whales mating.
From British daily The Independent:
By Carl Freire in Tokyo
Published: 22 December 2007
Japan has suspended its first humpback whale hunt in seas off Antarctica since the 1960s, its government said yesterday, backing down in an escalating international battle over the expansion of its hunt.
Japan dropped the planned taking of 50 humpbacks at the behest of the United States, which chairs the International Whaling Commission (IWC), said Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura. He said the suspension would last a year or two but that there would be “no changes” to Japan’s stance on research whaling itself.
Japan dispatched its whaling fleet last month to the southern Pacific in the first major hunt of humpback whales since the 1960s, generating widespread criticism. Officials said yesterday they had not harpooned any humpbacks.
The move defuses for now a high-profile row with Australia, though Japanese officials deny they were influenced by Canberra’s anti-whaling position. Australia announced on Wednesday that it would dispatch surveillance planes and a ship to gather evidence for a possible legal challenge to the hunt.
It was unlikely, however, to quell the increasingly bold high-seas protests against Japan’s scientific whaling research programme, in which it kills 1,000 whales, mostly minkes, a year in the Pacific.
See also here.
- Humpback whale watching on Dutch coast (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Icelandic whaling scandal (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Dutch whales beached because of NATO war games? (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Article: Wired on humpback singing (learntodivetoday.co.za)
- Greenland Could Soon Become a Rogue Whaling Nation (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Genetic study pursues elusive goal: How many humpbacks existed before whaling? (eurekalert.org)
- Breaching humpback whale strikes canoe as paddlers watch in awe (grindtv.com)
- tail print (onachickenwingandaprayer.com)