This video from the USA says about itself:
Rebecca Aldworth with The Humane Society of the United States takes you on a breathtaking and heartbreaking tour of the harp seals nursery off Canada’s East Coast just weeks before Canadian fishermen begin the annual seal hunt. Visit protectseals.org to learn more.
From Wildlife Extra:
Canada starts cull of 270,000 seals
Thousands of seal pups are believed to have perished before the hunt began, with global warming melting the ice needed for seals to give birth and nurse their pups successfully.
Despite this, the Canadian government gave the go-ahead for this year’s hunt with a catch limit of 270,000 seals.
IFAW’s observers are used to seeing thousands of young seal pups in the southern Gulf of St Lawrence at this time of year, but with extremely poor ice conditions, they have so far seen only a few isolated pups struggling in the slushy water.
However, the Canadian government ignored calls to abandon this year’s hunt, despite predicted high pup mortality due to global warming, and set a total allowable catch limit of 270,000 seals.
See also here.
Update 23 October 2007: here.
Russia may ban killing baby seals: here.
Russia bans hunting of young harp seals: here.
Russia bans hunt for all harp seals under one year of age: here.
Seal virus in Europe: here.
The federal government on Friday will significantly expand the critical habitat for endangered Hawaiian monk seals to include beaches and waters of the main Hawaiian Islands, officials said: here.
- Climate change killing harp seal pups (ecobooks4kids.wordpress.com)
- Arctic seal fossil on Dutch beach (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- As climate changes, polar bears switch to polluted food (grist.org)
- Picture: Photo by @BrianSkerry A harp seal pup, about 14 days old, makes its first swim in the icy waters of Canada’s Gulf of St. Lawrence. From my new exhibit “Portraits of Planet Ocean” opening at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in Washington, DC (dimitrios1986gr.wordpress.com)
- Can Spy Cams Save Hawaiian Monk Seals? (civilbeat.com)
- Polar Bear Seal Diet Has Higher Contaminant Load: Impacts of Climate Change (scienceworldreport.com)