From the BBC:
A bizarre relationship between a gecko and a sap-sucking insect has been caught on camera for the first time.
It is not yet understood why the insect so willingly offers up honeydew at the lizard’s behest.
Some believe that the presence of the hungry geckos may keep other predators away from the insect.
The footage was recorded for the BBC One series Life In Cold Blood.
It took the crew several attempts to capture this strange behaviour on camera as plant hoppers are very well camouflaged.
Life In Cold Blood is on BBC One on Monday, 18 February at 2100 GMT and is repeated on BBC One on Sunday, 23 February.
See also here.
- Enjoy a fascinating, detailed look at the Leaf-tailed Geckos… (thekidshouldseethis.com)
- 7 Demonic Creatures: Thorny Devil, Satanic Gecko, More (richarddawkins.net)
- The Gecko (trollpants.wordpress.com)
- Moth tongues, orchids and Darwin – the predictive power of evolution | Dr Dave Hone (theguardian.com)
- Alexandra C, Assignment 02, Final Draft (redslime.typepad.com)