This video is about South African mercenaries in Iraq.
From The Namibian daily:
Monday, October 15, 2007
Govt shuts down US firm
TWO American citizens involved in a paramilitary security company who wanted to recruit about 4 000 Namibians to work in Iraq and Afghanistan to guard US military bases were deported over the weekend after Government shut down their newly established business.
Announcing the drastic step at a hastily convened media briefing late Friday afternoon, Information Minster Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah said the Government Security Committee met on Thursday and recommended the permanent closure of Special Operations Consulting – Security Management Group (SOC-SMG) in Namibia.
“Cabinet directed the Security Committee to deal with the issue”, the Information Minister said.
The US-based outfit registered a Namibian branch with the Registrar of Companies just three weeks ago.
It made newspaper headlines in Namibia ten days ago with its scheme to recruit Namibians with a police, military or security background to perform security-guard services in war-torn countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan where the US has military bases.
“Paul Grimes, Country Representative of SOC-SMG, and Frederic Piry, Chief of Operations of SOC-SMG, have been declared prohibited immigrants and served with deportation orders on Friday, 12 October 2007,” the Minister announced.
“The Security Commission found that the involvement of Namibian nationals in such armed conflicts has serious short- and long-term national security implications on the interests of Namibia at home and abroad,” Nandi-Ndaitwah added.
Immediately after news reports in Namibia on the plans of SOC-SMG, the Information Ministry issued a statement saying it had not received any official request from SOC-SMG for Namibians to serve as security guards in war-torn countries.
The Ministry said further that in terms of Article 4 (8) (b) of the Constitution, Namibians are not allowed to get involved in the military or security forces of other countries without the written permission of the Namibian Government.
In the same vein, the Defence Act of 2002 criminalises the involvement of Namibians in the military, reserve or any auxiliary force of any country without the written permission of the Defence Minister as an offence punishable with a fine, prison service or both.
“The involvement of the USA in Iraq has never been sanctioned or supported through any international agreement and can thus not be supported by Namibia,” Minister Nandi-Ndaitwah outlined the Namibian Government’s decision.
The Namibian has reliably established that the two American men have already left the country.
Earlier last week, Grimes told reporters that he had the blessings of the ministries of Labour, Trade and Safety and Security to recruit Namibians at about US$650 (about N$4 250) per month. …
Others were sent home by the company for lack of discipline, not following orders and for being pregnant.
Translated from Dutch daily NRC:
Namibia expels US recruiters …
Namibia, along with its neighbour South Africa, has become a recruiting ground for US and British private paramilitary corporations.
In both countries, many well trained soldiers live; who, since Apartheid ended, hope for well paid work in foreign wars. In the 1990s, those mercenaries were mainly used in African wars. However, since 2003, they can be found as ‘security advisers’ in the Middle East.
Two years ago, the South African government made a new law, making participation in foreign wars a crime.
See also here.