Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:
When the counts and countesses [of the medieval county Holland] of the house ‘Die Haghe’ – the current Binnenhof – ate, swans, herons and black-tailed godwits were on the menu. Already in the 12th century there was skating on the Hofvijver. And right next to the existing tram line #1 Stadtholder Prince Maurice in 1620 had a pleasure garden built to find relaxation behind a brick wall with his mistresses.
These are just some suggestive facts from the book Het grafelijke en stadhouderlijke hof Den Haag [The counts’ and stadtholders‘ court in The Hague], which was presented today. The archeology department in The Hague has summarized 300 years of archaeological excavations and that gives a very detailed picture of life around the historic Courtyard, where Count Floris IV about 1230 founded the court Die Haghe. …
One of the most beautiful discoveries according to [archaeologist] Van Veen is a cuff button of a child soldier from the time of [King of Holland, 1806-1810] Louis Bonaparte. Around 1806 boys of about nine years were taken from the orphanages to fight. On the Malieveld field they were taught to handle weapons.