This video is called Stop Shell from Drilling Off the Coast of the Arctic Refuge.
From Associated Press:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Shell Oil Co. is downsizing its plan for off-shore drilling in the Arctic this year amid delays completing a spill containment barge required by the federal government, a spokesman said Tuesday.
Shell now hopes to complete two wells in 2012 instead of five. One would be in the Beaufort Sea off the northern Alaska coastline, and the other in the Chukchi Sea off the northwest coast between Alaska and Russia.
Smith attributed the downscaling to delays in building and gaining certification of the containment barge in Bellingham, Wash.
Environmental and Alaska Native groups are challenging the permit, claiming the drill ship and support vessels will pollute the air and worsen Arctic warming.
Update 1 March 2013: here.
Shell Arctic protest in London: here.
How to Bring the Major Oil Companies Ashore and Halt the Destruction of Our Oceans. Subhankar Banerjee, TomDispatch: “Shell is getting ready to drill for oil in the Arctic Ocean, an ecosystem staggeringly rich in life of every sort, and while it’s not yet quite a done deal, the prospect should certainly focus our minds. But first, it’s worth reminding ourselves of the mind-boggling richness of the life still in our oceans”: here.
WHITE HOUSE APPROVES ARCTIC DRILLING The “exploratory drilling” lead by Shell would take place in the Chukchi Sea, which is off the northwest coast of Alaska. [Kate Sheppard, HuffPost]
Protests in Seattle greet Shell oil rig destined for Arctic drilling: here.
- Environmentalists scale London’s tallest tower in drilling protest (fuelfix.com)
- Greenpeace activists arrested after scaling London’s Shard in protest against Arctic oil drilling (abc.net.au)
- Greenpeace protesters scale Shard over Shell’s Arctic drilling plan (independent.co.uk)
- Shard scale protest over Shell’s Arctic exploration (euronews.com)
- Greenpeace activists try to climb London’s Shard skyscraper to protest Shell’s Arctic oil drilling (rawstory.com)
- Greenpeace activists scale the Shard to send an Arctic message to Shell (guardian.co.uk)
- Greenpeace women finish 15-hour climb up The Shard and then get arrested inside (standard.co.uk)
- 6 women climb building to protest Shell (wptv.com)