Occupy Melbourne, Australia attacked by police

This video from Australia says about itself:

Occupy Melbourne

Police are removing the surrounding protesters

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Melbourne police use force to kick protesters out of plaza

Friday 21 October 2011

by Our Foreign Desk

Riot police in Melbourne, Australia, broke up a demonstration linked to the Occupy Wall Street movement today, after a group of around 100 people protesting against corporate greed defied an order to vacate a plaza.

Between 15 and 20 members of the Occupy Melbourne group were arrested and around 20 people, including two police officers, suffered minor injuries in the scuffle.

Around 100 activists in Melbourne had been camped out in the square without incident since October 15, many spending each night there in tents.

But the Melbourne City Council said that it had had enough and warned protesters to leave by Friday morning or face trespassing charges.

Most activists ignored the eviction order, linking arms and forming a human chain.

Police fenced off the square and refused to let any additional protesters join the group.

Occupy Melbourne spokesman Jacob Grech said that the demonstration was peaceful, and that the protesters had a right to remain where they were.

But riot police with shields eventually moved in, dragging people away and forcing them to stay behind a fence surrounding the square.

Around 20 protesters suffered minor injuries, and that one police officer was treated at a hospital for an injury to his eye.

The activists who were arrested could face charges including trespassing and resisting arrest, he said.

Police broke down the campsite, removing tents, food and possessions found in the plaza.

A violent operation, involving hundreds of riot and mounted police, the Critical Incident Response Unit, the dog squad and plainclothes officers, was launched yesterday against the Occupy Melbourne protest camp. At least 95 people were arrested, many after being brutally assaulted by multiple police officers. Demonstrators were kicked, punched and blinded with capsicum spray. One was hospitalised after two police pinned him to the ground while another kicked him in the groin: here. And here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.