United States Fox News boss Ailes resigns in sexual harassment scandal

This video from the USA says about itself:

Megyn Kelly Breaks Silence About Roger Ailes

19 July 2016

21st Century Fox is declining to comment on an explosive new report from New York magazine’s Gabriel Sherman that says Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly told lawyers she was also harassed by Fox News CEO and chairman Roger Ailes. “According to two sources briefed on parent company 21st Century Fox’s outside probe of the Fox News executive, led by New York–based law firm Paul, Weiss, Kelly has told investigators that Ailes made unwanted sexual advances toward her about ten years ago when she was a young correspondent at Fox.

From Variety in the USA today:

Roger Ailes Out at Fox News Amid Sexual Assault Allegations

Brian Steinberg, Senior TV Editor

Roger Ailes, who transformed Fox News Channel from a start-up into one of the nation’s most influential news organizations in under two decades, is leaving the 21st Century Fox-owned cable outlet in the wake of a bevy of sexual harassment allegations leveled at him, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Spokespeople for both the network and the parent company were not available for immediate comment. An official announcement was said to be imminent, this person said.

Ailes departs under a cloud. Gretchen Carlson, the former “Fox & Friends” anchor who left the network in June, filed a lawsuit in New Jersey earlier this month alleging Ailes had harassed her and derailed her career. Ailes had in a previous statement denied the charges. More women came forward alleging similar treatment by Ailes during his time as a producer in the decades before he set up shop at Fox News.

The final blow seemed to come on Tuesday: a report in New York magazine alleging that Megyn Kelly, one of the network’s primetime stars, had been the victim of unwanted sexual advances in her earlier days at the network. Those claims have not been independently verified, but the report seems to have played a role in determining the viability of Ailes’ tenure.

A posting on Drudge Report suggested Ailes could receive as much as $40 million as part of a settlement. Ailes was believed to be working under a contract with a term that expired in 2018.

More to come.

See also here.

French ‘peacekeepers” anti-civilian violence in Central African Republic

This video says about itself:

Central African Republic: French soldier accused of forcing children to perform sex acts with dogs

1 April 2016

The United Nations on Thursday announced 108 new alleged victims of sexual abuse, the vast majority of them minors, by peacekeepers in the Central African Republic. It called “shocking to the core” the report that three girls said a French military commander forced them to have sex with a dog.

Translated from Dutch NOS TV:

France suspends soldiers in Central African Republic

Today, 02:47

France has suspended five soldiers because they have misbehaved in the Central African Republic. According to the French Ministry of Defense some of them used violence against the people they were supposed to protect.

The incident was in the beginning of 2014 in the capital Bangui. What the five did exactly was not disclosed. Among the suspended soldiers are senior officers who did not participate personally in the violence, but are said to have not responded in the right way according to the Defence department. …

It is not the first time that the French peacekeeping force is discredited because of misconduct in the country. There is also an investigation about sexual abuse of street children by soldiers.

Catholic hierarchy cover-up of child abuse

This video from the USA says about itself:

Abuse Documentary: The Shame of the Catholic Church | Retro Report | The New York Times

31 March 2014

Sexual abuse in the Catholic Church has been making headlines for years. Some priests have been punished, but what about the bishops who shielded them?

Read the story here.

From the New York Daily News in the USA:

EXCLUSIVE: Catholic Church spent $2M on major N.Y. lobbying firms to block child-sex law reform

ALBANY — Not leaving it to divine chance, the state Catholic Conference has turned in recent years to some of Albany’s most well-connected and influential lobby firms to help block a bill that would make it easier for child sex abuse victims to seek justice.

The Catholic Conference, headed by Timothy Cardinal Dolan, has used Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker, Patricia Lynch & Associates, Hank Sheinkopf, and Mark Behan Communications to lobby against the Child Victims Act as well as for or against other measures.

All told, the conference spent more than $2.1 million on lobbying from 2007 through the end of 2015, state records show. That does not include the conference’s own internal lobbying team.

Filings show the lobbyists were retained, in part, to work on issues associated with “statute of limitations” and “timelines for commencing certain civil actions related to sex offenses.” Other issues included parochial school funding and investment tax credits.

“They are willing to spend limitless money in order to basically keep bad guys from being accountable for their actions,” said Melanie Blow, chief operations officer of the Stop Abuse Campaign. “I think they’re doing it because they don’t want to have to pay out settlements.”

Added Kathryn Robb, an advocate and survivor who says she was abused by her brother as a 9-year-old: “If they need to spend that much money on lobbying, clearly, then, they have some pretty big secrets to hide.”

While a far cry from the millions in lobbying top special interests spend in Albany each year, advocates for child sex abuse survivors say the $2.1 million spent likely represents a worthwhile investment to the Catholic Conference if it can continue to block legislation that would eliminate the statute of limitations on child sex abuse civil cases and open a one-year window to bring lawsuits for victims who can no longer sue under current law.

The Catholic Conference has argued that opening a one-year window to revive old cases could ultimately bankrupt the Church.

The firms the Catholic Conference chose is also telling.

Wilson Elser has long been Albany’s biggest lobbying firm. The firm represented the Catholic Conference from at least 2007 through the end of 2015 and was paid more than $1 million during that time, according to online filings with the state Joint Commission on Public Ethics.

After several key people either left the firm or reduced their responsibilities, the Church did not renew the contract with Wilson Elser for 2016, sources said.

Wilson Elser, which was being paid $10,000 a month by the Catholic Conference, had no comment.

In its place, state records show, the Catholic Conference hired another prominent firm, Greenberg Traurig, which it is paying $6,000-a-month. The lobbyist from the firm representing the Church is Michael Murphy, who used to be an assistant counsel for the Senate Republicans.

The Senate GOP opposes the one-year “lookback” window that Democrats are calling for.

The Catholic Church, some Orthodox Jewish groups, and other private entities oppose legislation by Assemblywoman Margaret Markey (D-Queens) and Sen. Brad Hoylman (D-Manhattan) that would eliminate the time limit that prohibits adults who were victimized as children from bringing civil cases after their 23rd birthdays.

Another top firm, Patricia Lynch & Associates, whose namesake had close ties to now disgraced Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, was hired by the Catholic Conference in 2009. Lynch’s firm for many years was ranked in the top 3 of well-paid lobbyists.

Lynch’s hiring by the Catholic Conference came after the Assembly passed different versions of the Child Victims Act four times from 2006 to 2008. The measure never came up again for a vote after Lynch was hired.

“Once Ms. Lynch lobbied for the Catholic Conference, Mr. Silver’s support for our bill ended, and the bill did not come out of the Assembly’s Codes Committee … which as speaker, he controlled,” John Aretakis, a former lawyer and an advocate for victims of clergy sex abuse, wrote in a scathing letter recently to a judge handling Silver’s recent criminal sentencing.

State lobbying records show the firm’s contract with the Catholic Conference was terminated earlier this year, not long after Lynch was outed in court papers as having had an affair with Silver.

Silver was sentenced earlier this month to 12 years in prison after his conviction on federal corruption charges.

Lynch, whose firm was being paid $7,500-a-month, would only say her contract with the Catholic Conference was ended by “mutual consent.”

Sheinkopf, meanwhile, has had close ties with Gov. Cuomo, the former leadership of the Senate Democrats when they were in control of the chamber, and even the Senate Republicans.

Like the others who were hired by the Catholic Conference, he would not discuss the specifics about what he does for the $5,000-a-month he is being paid.

“They like me,” he said. “They think I’m smart.”

In an email, Catholic Conference spokesman Dennis Poust wouldn’t comment directly on his organization’s lobbying efforts. He also would not comment on the reasoning behind why specific lobbying firms were chosen.

Also from New York: ‘Tyrant’ priest sued for vile rants at High School in Staten Island, ‘unleashed a constant stream of inappropriate remarks’: here.

Pope Issues New Decree to Deal With Pedophile Priests — But Victims Are Skeptical: here.

British ex-abbot, suspected of child abuse, arrested

This 14 May 2016 video is called Accused UK priest held in Kosovo.

From the BBC today:

UK priest wanted over sex abuse claims held in Kosovo

1 hour ago

A British former Catholic priest wanted over child sex abuse allegations has been arrested in Kosovo, local police sources say.

Lawrence Soper was being hunted over sex offences allegedly committed at St Benedict’s School in Ealing where he taught in the 1970s and 80s.

He was arrested in 2010 and bailed, but failed to return to a London police station in March 2011.

A European Arrest Warrant was issued for him in 2012.

After teaching at St Benedict’s, Mr Soper became abbot of Ealing Abbey, which had founded the school and supplied monks to teach there. …

In June 2010, a man then in his 40s made an allegation of sexual assault at St Benedict’s School in Ealing, west London, that was also attended by actor Andy Serkis and comedian Julian Clary.

From the Daily Telegraph in Britain today:

In March 2011, F[athe]r Soper was believed to have been living in a monastery in Rome and was due to return to London to answer bail.

However, he failed to show up, sparking an international search.

Clerical sexual abuse in the Netherlands cover-up

This video from the USA says about itself:

Catholic Church’s systematic abuse cover-up in the USA

16 November 2014

The Pope played a leading role in a systematic cover-up of child sex abuse by Roman Catholic priests.

Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:

“Deetman intimidated abuse victims to prevent investigation by parliament”

Today, 00:53

Wim Deetman has intimidated board members of an organization that stands up for victims of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church to prevent a parliamentary inquiry. This reports Argos radio.

Deetman was chairman of the commission of inquiry into abuse in the church.

The commission was set up by the Roman Catholic Church in the Netherlands. Wim Deetman is a Christian Democrat Appeal party politician.

In December the final report of the Deetman commission was published. It showed that tens of thousands of children were abused between 1945 and 1981 at Catholic seminaries and boarding schools.

Compelling way

A few months later, four members of the victims’ organization KLOKK had a conversation with Deetman. He asked the four people “with binding effect” not to ask for a parliamentary investigation.

A parliamentary inquiry was initially a mandatory requirement by the victims. Two weeks before the meeting KLOKK wrote that there was “every reason” to urge a parliamentary investigation.


However, the board members gave in to the request by Deetman. Board member Annemie Knibbe: “Deetman actually wanted to force us to do no parliamentary inquiry”. Argos also says it has emails showing that Deetman had already long before pressured KLOKK to abandon the requirement for a parliamentary investigation.

Deetman said to have threatened to stop investigating if KLOKK survivors would keep insisting on parliamentary inquiry: here.

Sexually abusive Catholic priest relocated, not fired

This video from the USA says about itself:

Church Relocates Convicted Predator Priest To New Church

27 April 2016

A priest convicted of inappropriately touching a 19-year-old woman, has been reassigned to a new church. The priest has gone from San Diego to a new parish in Oklahoma. Ana Kasparian and Brett Erlich, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

“Fr. Jose Alexis Davila was convicted of inappropriately touching a 19-year-old woman in San Diego in 2011. Like most priests who have been caught or convicted of sex acts, Davila went to another church. The problem, however, is no one at the church was told about his crimes.

When the church of the Blessed Sacrament in Lawton, Oklahoma was introduced to Davila they were told only that “he has pastoral experience in the United States” but nothing about his criminal past or even the name of his previous church. None of the members had any idea he was convicted for groping a teenager, according to KFOR News.”

Read more here.