Saudi bombs destroy Yemeni homes


This video says about itself:

UNESCO Director-General condemns the destruction of Bani Matar Mosque in Yemen

5 September 2016

The Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova, has condemned the destruction of a 9th century mosque located in Bani Matar, Sana’a Governorate.
“I am deeply concerned about the continuing destruction of Yemen’s unique cultural heritage. This is a direct attack against the country’s historical sites, and on the people’s history and identity that will affect the society over the very long term. This senseless violence must stop immediately” said Irina Bokova, UNESCO Director-General.

Several reports from the General Organization of Antiquities and Museums (GOAM) and the General Organization for the Preservation of Historic Cities (GOPHCY) in Yemen, notably, have confirmed the destruction of the mosque by an air strike on Thursday August 25, 2016.

By James Tweedie:

Yemen: Homes bombed ahead of ceasefire

Thursday 17th November 2016

Saudi-led coalition continues onslaught a day before ceasefire

SAUDI-LED invasion forces bombed civilian homes in Yemen yesterday, the day before a new US-agreed ceasefire is due to take effect.

The aircraft of the nine-nation coalition hit the Bani Matar district of Saada province, south-west of the capital Sanaa, with three strikes, destroying private homes and public property in the village of Yazel.

Ibb University condemned the coalition after it bombed the faculty of medicine.

The same day, US Secretary of State John Kerry said he had agreed a truce, to begin today, with the Supreme Political Council (SPC) government in Sanaa.

It pledged to abide by the ceasefire provided the coalition and its Riyadh-based puppet government, led by former president Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, did the same.

The SPC also said it was willing to participate in a unity government to be formed by the end of the year.

The deal was struck in neighbouring Oman, which has remained neutral in the war between the SPC and Washington’s Gulf Arab allies.

“There is a humanitarian disaster in Yemen, (not) just serious security and economic and political and humanitarian challenges,” Mr Kerry said after flying out.

“All the parties we talk to agree that there’s no military solution,” he stressed. “So if that’s the fact, you’ve got to get into: What is the political solution?”

But the Hadi faction immediately rejected the peace deal, calling it “unilateral.”

Foreign Minister Abdel-Malek al-Mekhalfi tweeted angrily: “The government doesn’t know and is not concerned with what Kerry announced.

“This shows a desire to foil peace efforts by trying to reach a deal with Houthis away from the government.”

But the US is not neutral in the war on Yemen, having sold arms to Saudi Arabia and other belligerents and provided in-flight refuelling support to more than 5,000 air raids.

Last month, US navy ships launched cruise missiles at the Yemeni coastline, supposedly in response to missile attacks — denied by the Republican Guard.

That came a week after the Saudis bombed a funeral in Sanaa, slaughtering some 150 mourners, in revenge for the sinking of an Emirati warship a week earlier.

Saudi air force kills Yemeni prisoners, other civilians


This 30 October 2016 video is called 45 people are killed in Yemen. Cause: [Saudi] Arab coalition air strike.

From the Sydney Morning Herald in Australia:

October 30 2016 – 2:55PM

Yemen air strikes kill prisoners and civilians as president rejects peace plan

Sanaa: Dozens of prisoners and security personnel are feared dead after Saudi-led air strikes battered two prisons inside a security headquarters in a western port city in Yemen.

Security and medical officials say the air strikes bombed the al-Zaydiya security headquarters in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida on Saturday. The building contained two prisons and many prisoners along with security forces have been killed in the strikes, the officials said.

The city is under control of Yemen’s Shiite Houthi rebels who seized the capital and much of the northern region in 2014. The Houthis’ TV network al-Masirah said that 43 people were killed in the airstrikes …

The prison strikes came after at least 18 civilians were killed in Yemen’s south-western province of Taiz on Saturday by an air strike that struck a house, local officials and residents said.

The exiled Hadi on Saturday rejected a UN peace proposal to end the turmoil.

Field Marshal Hadi used to be vice president in the pre-2011 United States and Saudi-supported dictatorship. Under Saudi pressure, he was then ‘elected’ president in ‘elections’ in which he was the only candidate. As Houthi rebels advanced, Hadi resigned and fled to Saudi Arabia. However, the Saudi royals pressured him into becoming a Saudi puppet president-in-exile.

United Nations aid agencies warned Friday that Yemen, after 18 months of savage bombardment in a US-backed war waged by Saudi Arabia and its fellow oil monarchies, is facing a catastrophic crisis threatening mass starvation: here.

It is hypocritical for the West to condemn Russia while at the same time aiding and abetting Saudi atrocities in Yemen, writes LINDSEY GERMAN: here.

Saudi royal bloodbath in Yemen, NATO helps


This video from the USA says about itself:

Saudi Arabia Is Deliberately Starving Yemen – With Help From The West

26 October 2016

The Yemen war uniquely combines tragedy, hypocrisy and farce. First come the casualties: around 10,000, almost 4,000 of them civilians. Then come those anonymous British and American advisers who seem quite content to go on “helping” the Saudi onslaughts on funerals, markets and other obviously (to the Brits, I suppose) military targets.

Read more here.

Save Saudi teenagers from beheading for free speech


This video, by Channel Four in Britain, says about itself:

Ali Mohammed al-Nimr: Sentenced to death

8 October 2015

Interview with the father of Ali Mohammed al-Nimr, the activist sentenced to death by crucifixion in Saudi Arabia. He says there are 7 other men who also face the death penalty.

By Paddy McGuffin in Britain:

Try harder to save Saudi death row teens, says charity

Saturday 22nd October 2016

THE British government was urged yesterday to redouble its efforts regarding the fate of three Saudi juveniles, who remain on death row a year after ministers said they were seeking “assurances” that they would not be executed.

Abdullah Hasan al-Zaher, Ali al Nimr and Dawood al-Marhoon were aged 15, 17 and 17 respectively when they were arrested for allegedly taking part in pro-democracy protests in the kingdom’s eastern province.

All three face beheading after they were sentenced in the secretive Specialised Criminal Court, on the basis of “confessions” which legal action charity Reprieve says were signed under torture.

The Foreign Office has said it has sought regular “assurances” from its key arms client, with Foreign Office Minister Tobias Ellwood telling Parliament last month: “Our expectation remains that they will not be executed.”

But the three juveniles remain on death row, and their families say that they fear the executions could go ahead without warning.

The British government has so far stopped short of calling for the death sentences to be scrapped — something that other governments, such as France, have done.

Reprieve has written to the Prime Minister Theresa May asking her to request that Saudi Arabia commute the sentences.

Reprieve director Maya Foa said: “Saudi Arabia’s ‘assurances’ that they won’t execute these three boys count for nothing when the kingdom has continued to behead juveniles and other prisoners, many of whom were tortured into bogus ‘confessions.’

Theresa May must call urgently for these death sentences to be scrapped.”

Flogging for blogging in Saudi Arabia again?


This video says about itself:

Saudi blogger Raif Badawi sentence ‘a slow death’, says wife

12 June 2015

Saudi Arabia‘s Supreme Court has upheld the sentence of 1,000 lashes and 10 years of imprisonment on blogger Raif Badawi, despite a foreign outcry.

From Deutsche Welle in Germany:

Freedom of Speech

Saudi blogger Raif Badawi to be given more lashes in prison

The Saudi government will apparently resume the lashing punishment against blogger Raif Badawi. The Raif Badawi Foundation announced it had received this news from a “private source.”

18 October 2016

In a statement, the Raif Badawi Foundation said it had received the confirmation from the same source that had notified his family and associates about the first set of 50 lashes, which were served on January 9, 2015. The foundation did not specify who the source was.

In contrast to the first round of punishment, which was performed in a public place, the next lashing was reportedly due to be carried out inside prison. Following injuries after his first flogging, Badawi’s remaining 950 lashes had to be postponed indefinitely.

The foundation said it had called on the Saudi government and royal family to intervene and stop the punishment. It has also asked the government to pardon Badawi and to deprive him of his Saudi citizenship, so he could be reunited with his family, who reside in Canada where they were granted asylum.

The announcement comes ahead of the Frankfurt Book Fair, where the Raif Badawi Foundation is expected to give a journalism award to a radio station based in northern Iraq.

NWE radio for refugees has been hailed for its efforts to broadcast news, with information in three languages for internally displaced Iraqis fleeing from the so-called “Islamic State” (ISIS) movement.

One thousand lashes against liberty

The blogger has been imprisoned since 2012 for insulting the particularly conservative interpretation of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia with his open advocacy of free speech and freedom of religion.

His blog, the Saudi Free Liberals Forum, was shut down following his arrest. Initially handed the death penalty for apostasy, he was given a sentence of 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes to be served concurrently.

Badawi received his first 50 lashes in January 2015, sustaining sufficient injuries for the sentence to be suspended for nearly two years. Amid the international condemnation that ensued, the 32-year-old received numerous human rights awards, including the Sakharov Prize and the BOB award, DW’s recognition for Freeedom of Speech.

Badawi’s wife, who is allowed to speak to him on the phone once or twice a week, said that his health had suffered considerably since he was given the sentence. Badawi has also reportedly been on sustained hunger strike on at least two occasions.

Saudi death penalty, even for a prince


This video says about itself:

Saudi beheading – Myanmar woman screams innocence before execution

1-17-2015 – A Myanmar woman beheaded in a Saudi street this week for killing her husband’s young daughter is seen screaming her innocence in a video posted on the Internet Saturday.

Saudi authorities have arrested someone for filming the incident, said local newspaper websites, including Okaz and Al-Riyadh, in reports accompanied by still shots from the recording.

“I did not kill. There is no God but God. I did not kill,” cries the woman, covered in black, apparently kneeling on the pavement circled by police officers in the video on LiveLeak.

“Haram. Haram. Haram. Haram. I did not kill … I do not forgive you … This is an injustice,” she screams in Arabic, using the Islamic term for something that is forbidden.

The executioner, dressed in a white robe, forces her to lie down on the ground, near a pedestrian crossing. Mountains are seen in the distance.

“I did not,” she continues before a final scream as the executioner’s curved sword severs her head, in a traditional execution for the kingdom, which carries out death sentences in public.

Several other videos purportedly showing beheadings in Saudi Arabia have circulated online over the past three years.

Saudi Arabia executed 87 people last year, up from 78 in 2013, according to an AFP tally.

A United Nations special rapporteur has said trials leading to the death penalty in Saudi Arabia are “grossly unfair”.

Rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery and drug trafficking are punishable by death in the oil-rich Gulf state that is a close ally of Washington.

Saudi authorities identified Bassim as holding “Burmese nationality”, using the former name for Myanmar, but did not specify if she was from its Rohingya Muslim community.

In Saudi Arabia, some princesses of the royal family can get away with crimes for which non-royal women might get harsh punishment, including the death penalty. However, some other princesses may get tortured for not confirming to establishment anti-women rules.

In Saudi Arabia, some princes of the royal family can get away with things like drinking alcohol, wholesale smuggling of illegal drugs, rape etc. for which non-royal men might get harsh punishment, including the death penalty. Like with royal family women, there are a few exceptions to that rule.

Translated from Dutch NOS TV:

Saudi Arabia executes prince

Today, 05:46

In Saudi Arabia a prince has been executed. This was done according to the Saudi Interior Ministry because he had killed a man in a quarrel three years ago.

It’s about Prince Turki bin Saud al-Kabir, one of the thousands of members of the Saudi royal family. He is not known to have had an important job.

The death penalty in Saudi Arabia happens with great regularity, but there are hardly any cases of members of the royal family who have been executed. One of the most famous was Prince Faisal bin Musaid al Saud, who was executed in 1975 because he had murdered his uncle, King Faisal.

From the International Business Times today:

A Saudi state news service report said Prince Turki bin Saud al-Kabir was put to death in the capital Riyadh but the report did not mention the method of execution used. Generally, most death penalties in the Islamic kingdom are carried out by beheading in a public square.

In one respect, Saudi Arabia today differs from sixteenth or seventeenth century England. There, beheading was a ‘privilege’, only for nobility people condemned to death. Commoners were hanged.