Protests against French National Front fuehrer at Oxford University


A demonstrator outside the Oxford Union protests against the appearance of Marine Le Pen, the leader of France’s Front National. Photograph: Hannah Mckay/EPA

From daily The Guardian in Britain:

Marine Le Pen’s Oxford university speech delayed by protesters

Appearance by leader of France’s far-right Front National party sparks protests by students chanting anti-fascist slogans

Jon Henley and Areeb Ullah

Thursday 5 February 2015 20.36 GMT

A crowd of some 300 jeering, banner-waving demonstrators delayed a speech by Marine Le Pen, the leader of France’s far-right Front National, by more than an hour at the Oxford Union.

Police and security guards were forced to close the doors to the university’s prestigious debating society after a dozen balaclava-wearing anti-fascist protesters, chanting “Le Pen, never again”, “No pasarán” and “Oxford Union, shame on you,” came close to scaling the walls from the street outside.

“This isn’t about freedom of speech – she has the right to express her views; no one is trying to silence her,” said Barnaby Raine, a second-year history and politics student and one of the organisers of the otherwise peaceful protest.

This video from England today is called Chants against Le Pen in Oxford.

“But that doesn’t mean we have to invite her here to give an hour-long talk and bring her bigoted, nasty, divisive politics into our community. Fascism has only been beaten when good people mobilise against it. Never by inviting it to dinner.”

Le Pen took over from her father, Jean-Marie, as leader of the Front National in 2011 and has since made strenuous efforts to pilot the nationalist, anti-immigrant and once openly racist party into the mainstream of French politics.

Last year’s European elections saw it finish top of a national poll for the first time in its 40-year history and polls predict Le Pen will comfortably make it through to the second round run-off in presidential elections due in 2017.

This video is called Protestors chanting against Le Pen.

Following last month’s terrorist attacks in Paris in which three Islamist gunmen shot dead 17 people, 12 of them in and outside the offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, Le Pen demanded that France regain control of its borders, mount surveillance operations in radical mosques, review its relations with foreign states that sponsor terrorism, and hold a referendum on the death penalty. …

John Tanner, an Oxford councillor, said outside the Union building that the society’s invitation to speak was “a stunt. The people of Oxford don’t want this extreme right-wing racist from France given a platform here.” …

This video is called Student speaks against Le Pen speech.

But Annie Teriba, a history and politics student, said she was disgusted that the Union’s invitation meant Le Pen could “now go back to France and say she has been invited to speak at Oxford university. That is the kind of legitimacy that is allowing her and her abhorrent party to become acceptable.”

This video is called Le Pen being sped away in a police van.

Neo-nazi Oktoberfest bombing not a ‘lone wolf’ crime


This is a 4 February 2015 German NDR TV video about new developments in investigating the 1980 Oktoberfest massacre in Munich.

From daily The Independent in Britain:

Oktoberfest bomb inquiry: Severed hand may prove 1980 attack was carried out by neo-Nazis and not a lone wolf

New evidence leads to claims of political cover-up during original investigation into Germany’s deadliest post-war terrorist incident

Tony Paterson

Berlin, Wednesday 04 February 2015

New evidence surrounding a mystery “severed hand” found at the site of Munich’s infamous far-right bomb attack at the Oktoberfest in 1980 has raised suspicions that a political cover-up stifled the investigation into Germany’s deadliest post-war terrorist incident.

The annual Munich beer festival rates as Germany’s most popular tourist attraction, attracting six million visitors each autumn. But shortly after 10pm on 26 September 1980, a massive nail bomb ripped through the crowd pouring out of an exit gate, killing 13 people instantly and badly injuring more than 200 others.

Police called off a hunt for other perpetrators after concluding that the bomb was planted by Gundolf Köhler – a 21-year-old geology student and right-wing extremist who was himself killed in the explosion – acted alone.

Until late last year, Germany’s federal prosecutors had stuck rigidly to the outcome of that investigation. But growing concern about a potential cover-up prompted federal prosecutors to reopen the case in late 2014.

Now, fresh evidence has emerged which strongly suggests that Köhler did not act alone, but was instead part of an organised gang of right-wing extremists whose other members subsequently escaped police detection and fled Germany. The new evidence centres on a severed and badly mutilated hand, which a policeman found lying in the mud near the scene on the night of the bombing. At the time, investigators quickly concluded that the hand could only have belonged to Köhler – although none of its fingerprints were found in the car used by the student to travel to the beer festival. The only such fingerprints were found in Köhler’s flat.

But Germany’s ARD television channel broadcast testimony from a new and hitherto unheard witness which suggested that the hand may not have belonged to Köhler at all but rather to a possible second bomber. An unnamed nurse told ARD that shortly after the Munich bombing she recalled treating a young man whose lower arm was missing.

“The arm had been injured by an explosion and had to be amputated,” the nurse told ARD. “But he wouldn’t say how he got hurt – he was proud of it. I went into his room and he was smiling all over.

She said he was never visited by his parents but only by “groups of men”, and added: “He disappeared after a week without even having his stitches removed.”

Ulrich Chaussy, the journalist behind the ARD documentary, has suspected irregularities in the Oktoberfest attack investigation for decades. He has long-believed that the severed hand, which was destroyed by federal prosecutors in 1987, did not belong to Köhler.

Mr Chaussy points out that the bombing occurred only weeks before Germany’s October 1980 general election when the then right-wing conservative Bavarian Prime Minister, Franz Josef Strauss, was trying to fulfil his life’s ambition and replace the Social Democrat, Helmut Schmidt, as German Chancellor.

He claims to have evidence that during the crucial pre-election phase, Strauss deeply feared the likelihood of embarrassing charges that he had failed to clamp down on the activities of a major right-wing extremist group, and preferred to pin the attack on a lone and potentially deeply misguided geology student.

Mr Chaussy maintains that Strauss – who died in 1988 – initially instructed investigators to cover up the fact that the bombing was linked to a militant neo-Nazi organisations called Defence Sports Group Hoffmann, six of whose members were briefly detained after the attack but never charged.

The formal investigation into the bomb attack was stopped in 1982. Mr Chaussy’s investigations prompted the case to be reopened in December last year.

“As the evidence mounts, the lone attacker theory is crumbling,” he told Bild newspaper.

On February 4, the German ARD television channel broadcast the documentary “Assassins—A Single Perpetrator? Latest revelations about the Oktoberfest bombing,” by Daniel Harrich. It uncovers how government authorities stymied investigations into the worst terrorist act in postwar German history and suggests intelligence agents could have been involved in the attack: here.

School for Nazis: Parents’ horror as children in German school begin greeting one another with ‘Heil Hitler’ and using Nazi slogans: here.

Neo-nazi vandalism in Mauthausen concentration camp


This music video from Greece says about itself:

Mikis Theodorakis Songs of Songs (Mauthausen)

The poet Iacovos Kambanellis was a prisoner in Mauthausen during World War II. At the beginning of the sixties, he wrote his memories of this time under the title of “Mauthausen”. In 1965, he also wrote four poems on the subject and he gave Mikis the opportunity to set them to music. Mikis did this with much pleasure, firstly because he liked the poetry of the texts, and secondly because he was locked up during the Nazi occupation in Italian and German prisons, but mainly because this composition gives us the chance to remind the younger generation of history, that history that must never be forgotten.

Picture: Liberated prisoners in the Mauthausen concentration camp near Linz, Austria, give a rousing welcome to Cavalrymen of the 11th Armored Division. The banner across the wall was made by Spanish Loyalist prisoners. It says “The Spanish Antifascists greet the Liberating Forces”. The text is written in English and Russian as well. 6 may 1945.

From the Jewish Telegraph Agency:

Swastikas, ‘Hitler’ written on Mauthausen walls

February 2, 2015 11:52am

Four swastikas and “Hitler” were found on the former Mauthausen concentration camp.

The graffiti was written with a felt pen and carved onto walls at the former camp, the Upper Austria State Police said Monday in a statement, according to Austrian news reports. An investigation was launched into the incident at Mauthausen, which is now a memorial and museum.

The graffiti, about a half-inch high, was discovered in the former laundry and in the bunker area after visitors complained to a memorial employee on Sunday, according to the Austria Press Agency.

It is not known when the vandalism took place, though police reportedly suspect that it occurred the day before the discovery during public visiting hours.