British automobile journalist Clarkson sued for anti-Irish racism

Anti-Irish discrimination sign

From in Ireland:

Jeremy Clarkson sued by Irish Top Gear producer for ‘racial discrimination

Friday 13th November 2015

Top Gear’s former host Jeremy Clarkson is being sued by producer Oisin Tymon for racial discrimination.

Lawyers for the 55-year-old presenter and the BBC had a closed-door hearing with Tymon’s representatives at a London employment tribunal today, according to sources.

Clarkson, who was later fired by the BBC, reportedly called Tymon a “lazy, Irish c***” during a confrontation at a hotel in north Yorkshire. …

Clarkson was suspended after the “fracas” over catering on March 10, and was sacked by the BBC on March 25, following an internal inquiry.

The inquiry, led by the director of BBC Scotland Ken MacQuarrie, said Tymon “was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip” during the “unprovoked physical and verbal attack”.

MacQuarrie added: “The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently.”

See also here.

BBC journalism is ‘terrorism’, British government says

This BBC video says about itself:

The refugees heading to Sweden – Newsnight

18 September 2015

Sweden has the highest number of refugees per capita of any European country. Secunder Kermani followed one group of refugees – and the activists helping them – as they traveled from Germany to Sweden.

From daily The Independent in Britain:

Police use terror powers to seize BBC Newsnight journalist’s laptop

Exclusive: Secunder Kermani joined the show early last year and has produced a series of reports on British-born jihadis

Ian Burrell

29 October 2015

Police have used powers under the Terrorism Act to seize the laptop of a young Newsnight journalist in a case that has shocked BBC colleagues and alarmed freedom of speech campaigners, The Independent can disclose.

Officers obtained an order from a judge that was served on the BBC and Secunder Kermani, who joined the flagship BBC2 news show early last year and has produced a series of reports on British-born jihadis.

The development has caused alarm among BBC journalists. The editor of Newsnight, Ian Katz said: “While we would not seek to obstruct any police investigation we are concerned that the use of the Terrorism Act to obtain communication between journalists and sources will make it very difficult for reporters to cover this issue of critical public interest.”

A BBC spokesman said: “Police obtained an order under the Terrorism Act requiring the BBC to hand over communication between a Newsnight journalist and a man in Syria who had publicly identified himself as an IS member. The man had featured in Newsnight reports and was not a confidential source”.

Kermani has built a reputation for making contact with Western-born Isis fighters and interviewing them online about their motivations.

The seizure of his material has alarmed press freedom organisations. Jo Glanville, director [of] campaign group English PEN, said the current “hysteria” around terrorism was greater than in the aftermath of the 9-11 and 7-7 attacks. “If journalists go near something to do with terrorism the police can use the Terrorism Act [2000] to go after their sources.”

The media lawyer Gavin Millar, QC, warned at a conference last month of the “looming problem” of police exploiting the wide-ranging terror legislation to go after journalistic sources at various news organisations. “There’s a chilling effect – I know material has not been published or broadcast because of anxiety to protect sources,” he has said. “We are talking notes, emails, video footage, audio [being seized]. I don’t think we are hearing the accounts of why young people are going [to Syria]. The debate has not been advanced by informed coverage because the media is in fear of the Terrorism Act.”

There are also concerns that police may attempt to use the legislation to go after sources of academic research into Islamic extremism. Kings College London’s International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation has built a huge data base of Western jihadists.

Next month at the Court of Appeal, David Miranda, the partner of former Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, will challenge a ruling that he was lawfully detained at Heathrow airport under the Terrorism Act in 2013, resulting in the seizure of 58,000 highly-classified documents he was carrying for the journalist in encrypted files.

One BBC source said: “It think it makes it very difficult to do proper reporting in this territory when the cops can come in and get orders for material as easily as they can. The police have the authority to seize anything that they think will be of use to them in a terror investigation and that’s quite a wide net.”

Source material: The price of protection

  • Daily Mail reporter Brendan Mulholland and Reg Foster of the Daily Sketch were jailed for contempt of court – for six months and three months respectively – in 1963, after refusing to disclose their sources in reporting the Vassall spy tribunal.
  • Sarah Tisdall, a Foreign Office clerk, was jailed in 1983 after anonymously sending The Guardian details of US cruise missile nuclear weapons arriving in Britain.
  • The newspaper was ordered by the Attorney General to hand over the documents, which were identified as coming from a Foreign Office photocopier, and Ms Tisdall was charged under the Official Secrets Act.
  • Former Independent journalist Jeremy Warner was fined £20,000 in 1988 after refusing to reveal his sources to Department of Trade and Industry inspectors investigating insider dealing in the City.

Ukrainian government bans BBC, other journalists

This video from the USA says about itself:

Princeton University professor Stephen Cohen on Ukraine and media blackout / censorship – 10.10.2014

From Associated Press news agency:

Ukraine Bars 3 BBC Journalists From Entering Ukraine

By Nataliya Vasilyeva

Sep 17, 2015, 6:00 AM ET

Ukraine has barred a few dozen reporters, including three BBC journalists, from entering the country as an unspecified security threat.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko late on Wednesday signed a sanctions list barring nearly 400 individuals from entering Ukraine, including BBC correspondent Steve Rosenberg and producer Emma Wells, both British, and Russian cameraman Anton Chicherov.

This is the first sanctions list against Russia and foreign individuals that Kiev has introduced since a conflict broke out in April 2014 in eastern Ukraine, claiming more than 8,000 lives so far.

The decree which was published on the president’s website said the reporters and media executives on the list presented an unspecified “threat to national interests, national security, sovereignty or territorial integrity.”

It did not specify why the long-serving Moscow-based BBC journalists were singled out but a spokesman for the presidential administration said late Wednesday night that the Ukrainian Security Service would give an explanation on Thursday.

The BBC’s foreign editor, Andrew Roy, described the ban as “a shameful attack on media freedom.”

“These sanctions are completely inappropriate and inexplicable measures to take against BBC journalists who are reporting the situation in Ukraine impartially and objectively, and we call on the Ukrainian government to remove their names from this list immediately,” he said in emailed comments.

Also on the list of the banned journalists are Antonio Pampliega and Angel Sastre, two Spanish reporters who disappeared in Syria in July and are believed to have been kidnapped by the Islamic State group, and two reporters for Russian news agencies in South Africa and Turkey with no clear links to Ukraine.

The Russian news agency Tass on Thursday described the decision to blacklist three of its reporters, one based in Washington, D.C., one in South Africa and one in Moscow, as “odd” since two of the three journalists do not even cover Ukraine. …

The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said in a statement that it is “dismayed” by Poroshenko’s actions.

“While the government may not like or agree with the coverage, labeling journalists a potential threat to national security is not an appropriate response,” said the committee’s Europe and Central Asia program coordinator, Nina Ognianova.

Muslims murdered in the USA, BBC silent

This video from London, England issays about itself:

#MuslimLivesMatter: BBC and Sky slammed for ‘bias coverage’ at London rally

12 February 2015

Protesters gathered in central London Thursday to decry the lack of media coverage over the purportedly religiously-motivated murder of three Muslims in North Carolina on Wednesday.

The demonstrators carried banners bearing messages including ‘BBC, shame on you’ and ‘My faith does not incriminate me.’

The group singled out the government run broadcasting company, as well as Sky News, for what they consider to be the demonisation of Islam and the playing down of hate crimes against Muslims.

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

BBC faces demo over shootings coverage

Friday 13th February 2015

ANTI-RACISM campaigners joined members of Muslim communities last night to stage a protest outside the BBC in London against what they claim is the corporation’s silence over the shootings of three Muslim students in the US.

Deah Shaddy Barakat, his wife Yusor Mohammad and her sister Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha were shot dead near the university campus in North Carolina on Wednesday.

Craig Stephen Hicks, 46, has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder over the killings.

Initial reports appeared to suggest the triple shooting was the result of a dispute over parking spaces but the victims’ families and local Muslim community leaders are calling for the murders to be recognised as a hate crime.

The protesters argue that in stark contrast to the recent Paris shootings there was no immediate coverage of the killings, which were not headline news or covered in the BBC’s main news bulletins.

North Carolina murders and Dutch media: here.

BBC drops pro-established political parties bias

This video from Scotland says about itself:

Nicola Sturgeon says Scrap Trident!

18 April 2013

Nicola Sturgeon, [then] Deputy First Minister of Scotland, makes the case against the renewal of Trident nuclear weapons.

Scotland and the UK have had nuclear weapons for 50 years. And now, while spending on health, education, pensions and disability benefits is being slashed, the government is planning to replace Trident at a cost of £100 Billion.

But the people of Scotland are overwhelmingly opposed to nuclear weapons. We want Scotland and the world to be free of these horrendous weapons of mass destruction.

But we must act now to put an end to it. A broad-based coalition of groups have come together to call for scrapping Trident and funding human needs.

Whether you are for independence or not this is the time to demonstrate your opposition to wasteful and immoral nuclear weapons. Our campaign is demanding that Trident be scrapped and the resources go to fund healthcare, education, pensions, disability benefits and more.

Find out more at

By Conrad Landin in Britain:

Broadcaster U-Turn Sees Greens, Plaid And SNP Joining Debates

Saturday 24th January 2015

SEVEN party leaders will jostle for position in two of the three TV debates, broadcasters announced yesterday in a dramatic U-turn.

New additions to the televised debates are Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood and SNP leader and Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

A jubilant Ms Bennett last night proclaimed that the decision marked the “Green Spring.”

The news follows uproar over her exclusion from the process despite the Greens polling ahead of the Lib Dems in several recent surveys.

The three new debaters will join Tory Prime Minister David Cameron, Lib Dem deputy PM Nick Clegg, Labour leader Ed Miliband and Ukip chief Nigel Farage in the pandemonium debates for the BBC and ITV.

These will be followed by a final tete-a-tete between Mr Cameron and Mr Miliband hosted jointly by Channel 4 and Sky.

Broadcasters yesterday threatened to “empty chair” any party leader who refuses to take part.

The TV channels had originally announced plans for one debate to include Mr Clegg and Mr Farage and one to include Mr Clegg, in addition to the Labour and Conservative leaders.

But earlier this month Mr Cameron said he would refuse to take part unless the Greens were included — in what was seen as a cynical move to split the Labour vote.

In a joint statement, the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky said they had “continued to monitor the electoral landscape” since making their initial decision.

Ms Bennett said: “The decision to include the Greens in two debates is an acceptance by the broadcasters that we now are in an age of multi-party politics.

“This groundbreaking decision serves the interests of both the electorate and British democracy. Our membership and polling surge demonstrates that when people hear about Green Party values and policies many embrace them.”

But Sinn Fein, which currently has five abstentionist MPs, said it would challenge the decision.

Democratic Unionist Party leader Peter Robinson branded his own exclusion “unacceptable.”

And [a] Lib Dem spokesman bemoaned the exclusion of Mr Clegg from the final debate.

“We have always been clear that as a party of government, we must be able to defend our record in all the TV debates,” he said.

Campaigners against nuclear weapons on a ‘Wrap up Trident’ demo at the Ministry of Defence in London today have a new spring in their step, writes Paul Ingram. Thanks to the new electoral geometry of the 2015 general election, they could finally get to close down Britain’s £100 billion nuclear weapons programme – and not a moment too soon: here.

BLAIRITE shadow health minister Liz Kendall has insisted that an NHS role for the private sector will remain under a Labour government: here.