This March 2016 video says about itself:
FIFA watchdog opens formal proceedings over 2006 German World Cup
FIFA‘s ethics watchdog announced on Tuesday that it had began formal proceedings against six individuals, including German football legend Franz Beckenbauer, over the awarding of hosting rights to Germany for the World Cup tournament in 2006. Other individuals included in the investigation are former German soccer officials Wolfgang Niersbach, Helmut Sandrock, Theo Zwanziger, Horst Schmidt and Stefan Hans. Earlier this month, Beckenbauer denied any wrongdoing in an affair involving the 2006 World Cup in Germany and said he knew nothing of a multi-million payment to a disgraced former FIFA official in Qatar.
Translated from Dutch NOS TV today:
Former top executives of German Football Association charged with fraud at World Cup 2006
The Swiss public prosecutor is going to prosecute three former executives of the German football association DFB for complicity in fraud at the 2006 World Cup. These are Horst Schmidt, Theo Zwanziger and Wolfgang Niersbach. Former FIFA CEO Urs Linsi is also being prosecuted in this case.
The men are suspected of having misled the German association about a payment of 6.7 million euros. After investigation, the Swiss judiciary dropped a money laundering complaint. The four previously denied all accusations.
Germany, which hosted the World Cup in 2006, has long been suspected of bribing to get the World Cup to Germany. The Swiss public prosecutor started an investigation into the case after publications in the German magazine Der Spiegel.
Franz Beckenbauer, then chairman of the committee to bring the World Cup to Germany, is also suspected of fraud and money laundering. He is not charged due to his poor health. According to doctors, any excitement would be life-threatening for Beckenbauer.