This December 2018 video is called Naji Fateel, human rights defender, Bahrain.
By Phil Miller in Britain:
Sunday, January 20, 2019
Hunt urged ‘intervene’ to help hunger-striking political prisoners in Bahrain
TWO British parliamentarians have written to Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt demanding his “urgent intervention” to help political prisoners on hunger strike in Bahrain.
Last year the Morning Star revealed that political prisoners at Jau are shackled with handcuffs made in Birmingham.
We reported on the case of jailed opposition leader, frail Hassan Mushaima, who was being denied medical treatment unless he wore shackles to the sick bay.
His exiled son Ali launched a hunger strike outside the Bahrain embassy in London, and only resumed eating when the Jau prison authorities finally promised to improve medical care at the jail.
However, that pledge proved to be short lived with other inmates now warning their health is at risk.
The British parliamentarians described conditions at Jau as “inhumane” and said in their letter: “Mr AlHajee and Mr Fateel are constantly being denied basic entitlements while in detention in Jau prison.
“While Mr AlHajee needs surgery to his lower jaw and requires urgent dental implants, Mr Fateel needs surgery to extract iron splints from his leg.”
They warned that another 20 inmates have since gone on hunger strike at the jail, and said Mr Fateel is threatening to dramatically escalate his hunger strike tomorrow and begin refusing fluids.
The prisoners’ complaints are particularly embarrassing for the Tory government which has spent millions of pounds training Bahrain’s jailers, including on their healthcare policies.
“It is highly concerning that Mr AlHajee and Mr Fateel are putting their lives at risk to get their basic entitlements,” the politicians warned Jeremy Hunt.
“Therefore, we urge you to act swiftly on behalf of Mr AlHajee and Mr Fateel by making representations to the Bahraini government to grant both inmates immediate access to medical care and release them.”
This November 2018 video is about robins in the Veluwe region in the Netherlands.
By Marcus Barnett in Britain:
Sunday, January 20, 2019
London Labour Party activists launch new anti-fascist campaign
Labour Against Racism and Fascism (Laraf) gathered in London this weekend to hold its first elections
SCORES of London Labour activists united at the weekend to launch a new anti-fascist campaign.
Labour Against Racism and Fascism (Laraf) held its first election at the Christian Street Community Centre, Whitechapel, yesterday.
The organisation was created after many Labour activists in London raised concerns at the lack of a visible Labour presence on marches against far-right activist Tommy Robinson.
Nearly 100 people attended the meeting, including local councillors, members of Labour’s community organising unit, prominent Momentum figures and London Assembly member Unmesh Desai.
As well as electing a leadership, the meeting discussed potential campaigns for opposing structural racism and inequality on Labour councils.
Campaigners offered ideas to pressure Labour councils to take swifter action to address the race pay gap and to stop awarding work contracts to companies such as G4S, which is involved in the deportation of refugees.
Laraf joint secretary Artin Giles said: “Laraf’s task is well set out for us.
“The truth is that while we have been rebuilding Labour as a mass movement, many of us feel like we haven’t adequately mobilised against the far right, who have seen opportunities to grow out of the anger that exists in our country.
“We must fight this backlash with a positive political alternative, but we have to tackle the far right head on — whether that be on the estates, in the streets, on our football terraces, or in music venues.
“I was thrilled by the enthusiasm in this meeting, but we have to up our game and get on with building a living, breathing anti-racist movement.”
By Marcus Barnett in Britain:
Sunday, January 20, 2019
Over half of BME teachers face racist abuse in Britain’s schools, teaching union finds
The NASUWT finds 53 per cent of all BME teachers have reported receiving verbal abuse in the past year
MORE than half of all ethnic minority teachers have faced racist abuse in Britain’s schools, a teaching union has found.
Research by the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT), published at its BME Teachers’ Consultation Conference in Birmingham yesterday, found that 53 per cent of all BME teachers have reported receiving verbal abuse in the past year.
Of this number, 42 per cent say that they are not helped by senior management in dealing with unruly pupils.
The union claims that this displays a failure of bosses to legally care for their employees when faced with hurtful and confrontational situations.
Speaking at the conference, NASUWT general secretary Chris Keates said: “BME teachers continue to be subjected to racist remarks, negative comments, and threats of disciplinary action because of their racial origin.
“Teachers are continuing to face misery, humiliation, ill-health, loss of confidence and blighted careers as a result of this abuse.
“Too often, schools are condoning behaviour that is leaving BME staff, and indeed pupils, isolated and vulnerable, setting an appalling example to our children and young people.”
Ms Keates argued that BME teachers were “buckling under the weight” of workload and administrative tasks, and maintained that a culture of excessive workloads is driving BME people away from the profession altogether.
“Teachers are being crushed by punitive assessment and working policies, designed to hold them to account rather than support pupil progress,” she added.
“They are trapped in the seemingly permanent revolution of curriculum change, invariably ill-thought-through, under-resourced, and badly executed.”
This video from Britain says about itself:
RMT Pickets 23 11 2016
By Peter Lazenby in Britain:
Sunday, January 20, 2019
Fascists try to intimidate striking train guards in Leeds
SIEG-HEILING fascists unsuccessfully attempted to intimidate striking train guards at Leeds City railway station at the weekend.
The fascists’ … movement announced its intention to demonstrate in the city yesterday in advance.
Leeds trade unionists and anti-fascists organised a counterdemonstration and reinforced the picket line mounted by striking guards from the RMT union on their 45th day of strike action.
Opposing demonstrations were also staged by about 100 fascists and 50 anti-fascists near the BBC’s studios in Leeds city centre.
Fascist thugs clashed with police and there were six arrests, one for assault of a police officer. The arrests were made after the fascists marched to the station in an attempt to confront the RMT pickets.
“There was an incident where a couple of fascists came close to the picket line and tried to intimidate people there, but the police quickly moved them on,” an unnamed activist told the Star.
“A little later in the morning the police escorted the anti-fascists through Leeds to St Peter’s Square where BBC Yorkshire is based and, on the way there, there was a face-off with both sides outside the Regent pub in the city centre.
“Not long after the anti-fascists were in place, the fascists gathered very close by and broke through the police lines to stand very close to the anti-fascists.
“The fascists were seen with white supremacist flags and … their usual racist chants…
Strikes are continuing every Saturday on Northern Rail against plans by the company to remove safety-critical guards from its trains.
Striking guards were attacked at Manchester Victoria railway station on January 5.
This 18 January 2019 video is called Prehistoric World – Ceratosaurus.
Translated from Dutch NOS TV today:
Prince Philip on the road again shortly after collision, without a seat belt
The police in Norfolk gave the British prince Philip a reprimand because he was yesterday behind the wheel without a seat belt.
If the man behind the wheel without a seat belt shortly after causing a collision would not have been a prince, but unemployed/disabled Joe Bloggs, then I suspect police might have done a lot more than a ‘reprimand’.
According to the BBC: ‘A person caught not wearing a seatbelt could receive an on-the-spot £100 fine. If a case goes to court, the fine could increase to £500’.
On Thursday, the 97-year-old prince was involved in a car accident in which his Range Rover rolled over. Philip remained unharmed, unlike a passenger in the other car involved in the collision. She broke her wrist.
British tabloids yesterday placed photos of Philip who drove at the entrance of the Royal Estate Sandringham without a belt. Those photographs led to a storm of criticism by people who felt that the Duke of Edinburgh was irresponsible, so shortly after the accident. …
The investigation into Thursday’s accident is still ongoing. Witnesses say that the prince came from a side road at Sandringham, without taking traffic into account.
The 46-year-old woman who was injured in the collision tells The Sunday Mirror that Philip has not apologized. “It has been such a traumatic and painful time and I would have expected more of the Royal Family.” …
Still, the woman wonders whether the absence of personal apologies means Philip has no regrets. ““I love the royals but I’ve been ignored and rejected and I’m in a lot of pain. What would it have taken for him and the Queen to send me a card and a bunch of flowers?” the newspaper quotes her.
From the BBC today:
Ms [Emma] Fairweather, who was a passenger in the car being driven by her friend, told the Sunday Mirror: “I’m lucky to be alive and he hasn’t even said sorry. …
She said she had not heard from the royal household but had got a call from a police family liaison officer.
“The message he passed on didn’t even make sense. He said, ‘The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would like to be remembered to you,'” she said.
“That’s not an apology or even a well-wish.”
Prince Philip ‘drives like he’s only one on road’ and is ‘notorious in Sandringham’. EXCLUSIVE After his horror crash on Thursday, a Sandringham resident has claimed to have multiple near-misses with the Duke of Edinburgh: here.
‘Prince Philip nearly ran my dad off the road – then stuck his finger up at him’. EXCLUSIVE: Rob Stevenson says his dad David was forced to take evasive action after the Duke allegedly sped around a tight corner near the Sandringham Estate two decades ago: here.
Prince Philip ‘threatened to throw Queen out of car’ after she ‘yelped’ in terror. Gyles Brandreth, a friend and biographer of The Duke of Edinburgh, spoke about the royal’s love of driving fast following Prince Phillip’s accident on Thursday: here.