Jack o’lantern mushroom, new in the Netherlands


This video says about itself:

16 August 2016

Omphalotus olearius is a POISONOUS orange gilled mushroom that to an untrained eye appears similar to some chanterelles. It is notable for its bioluminescent properties. It is found in woodland areas in Europe, where it grows on decaying stumps, buried roots or at the base of hardwood trees. Omphalotus olearius and other Omphalotus species contains the toxin illudin S, and are poisonous to humans. While not lethal, consuming this mushroom leads to very severe cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.

In September 2017, Omphalotus olearius, the Jack o’lantern mushroom, was discovered for the first time in the Netherlands; on an olive tree, imported from Spain.

5 thoughts on “Jack o’lantern mushroom, new in the Netherlands

  1. Pingback: Buzzard saves tree’s life | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  2. Pingback: Fungi and conservation in the USA | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  3. Pingback: Flashlight fish, new research | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  4. Pingback: North American fungi, new checklist | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  5. Pingback: Bermuda fireworms, why they glow | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.