Saudis, stop bombing Yemen, Merkel says


This video says about itself:

11 July 2016

As Saudi Arabia continues its brutal military campaign in Yemen, the German government has approved several arms export deals to Riyadh.

Four months ago, the European Parliament voted in favor of an EU-wide arms embargo against Saudi Arabia, citing the kingdom’s violent military campaign in Yemen. According to UN estimates, thousands of civilians have been killed since the Saudi-led bombing campaign began last March.

Despite this agreement aimed at stemming the violence, the German government has approved arms export deals to several countries in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier spoke in support of the agreement. The German government also approved a number of other agreements.

Chancellor Merkel of Germany is now on a state visit to Saudi Arabia.

According to a report by Dutch NOS TV (translated), she sounded a bit differently from her British colleague Theresa May:

Merkel against Saudi’s: stop bombing Yemen

Today, 20:10

Angela Merkel wants the Sunni military coalition led by Saudi Arabia to stop bombing Shiite Houthi rebels in Yemen. In a conversation with King Salman in the Saudi port city of Jeddah, the German Chancellor said that, like the United Nations, she chose a diplomatic solution.

“We do not believe there is a military solution to this conflict,” Merkel said. In addition, according to her it should be prevented that there would be yet more victims among the often very poor population of Yemen. …

Merkel is with a trade delegation in Saudi Arabia and travels to the United Arab Emirates tomorrow. In both countries Merkel and the most prominent bosses in German business hope to conclude contracts and sign orders.

If Ms Merkel is serious about her fine words about the bloody war of the Saudi royal dictatorship on the people of Yemen, then she should stop all weapons sales for that war. Last year, in October, I was in Germany. I saw there a ship for the Saudi royal coastguard being built; a part of the Saudi armed forces now blocking Yemeni ports, making Yemeni people die of hunger.

So, we should wait what will happen in practice before maybe praising Ms Merkel too soon.

May 4, 2017, Kristine Beckrle: A well being dug in a small village in Yemen was nearing completion last September when it was bombed by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition. The bomb hit the workers’ shelter, killing six men and wounding five others. When village residents went to help, the aircraft struck again. In all, at least 31 civilians, including 3 boys, were killed and 42 wounded. The well, which villagers had pooled their money to drill, was destroyed. I went to the bombing site with friends and family members of the victims. In the wreckage, we found a piece of a U.S.-made munition with markings indicating it was manufactured by Raytheon in October 2015: here.

On April 26th, 2017, in Yemen’s port city of Hodeidah, the Saudi-led coalition which has been waging war in Yemen for the past two years dropped leaflets informing Hodeidah’s residents of an impending attack: here.

Yemenis dying of cholera as Trump meets with UAE ruler: here.

5 thoughts on “Saudis, stop bombing Yemen, Merkel says

  1. Pingback: German racist army officer planned terror attack | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  2. Friday 12th May 2017

    posted by James Tweedie in World

    THE Saudi-led invasion coalition in Yemen faced a major rift yesterday after the sacked governor of Aden declared a separatist government.

    Major General Aidarous alZubaidi announced the formation of a new “transitional political council of the south.”

    Gen Zubaidi was sacked by the Saudi-based government-in-waiting of former president Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi last week after a rally of secessionists.

    The new council, declared by Gen Zubaidi at a speech in Aden, consists of 27 southern leaders including former Hadi cabinet minister Hani Bin Braik.

    Both men are backed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) — the other major member of the nine-nation coalition — and were sacked by Mr Hadi last week.

    At last week’s rally in Aden, thousands of southern separatists rallied in Gen Zubaidi’s defence, issuing a statement they said authorised him to form a political entity to represent southern Yemenis.

    The demonstrators declared the ex-governor’s followers “legitimate representative of the people of the south” on regional and international levels.

    While nominally allies against the Houthi-clan backed National Salvation Government in the capital Sanaa, the Saudis and Emiratis have opposed aims.

    The UAE backs a breakaway state with Aden as its capital, while Riyadh wants to impose the Hadi regime on the entire nation.

    Regional experts say a proxy war is raging between Saudi-backed al-Qaida and Emirati-backed forces.

    Meanwhile British Foreign Secretary Michael Fallon claimed Saudi Arabia was “defending itself” by its two-year bombing campaign that has slaughtered thousands of Yemeni civilians.

    Speaking on the BBC Radio 4 Today Programme yesterday morning, Mr Fallon said: “Saudi Arabia is being attacked by Houthi rebels across its southern border with Yemen.

    “It’s had its towns and villages shelled by the Houthis,” he said. “Saudi Arabia is fully entitled to defend itself and it’s fully entitled to call on its friends in so doing.”

    The Tory government has drawn flak for its continued arms sales to Riyadh.

    http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-2d0e-Yemen-Sacked-Aden-governor-to-launch-own-government#.WRXGydykIdU

    Like

  3. Monday 5th June 2017

    posted by Morning Star in World

    WAR-RAVAGED Yemen is suffering a cholera epidemic, with an estimated 3,000 to 5,000 new cases reported every day, the UN children’s agency warned at the weekend.

    Unicef Middle East director Geert Cappelaere said 70,000 suspected cases had been found in the past month in 19 of Yemen’s 22 governorates.

    He voiced fears that cholera cases could double every two weeks unless more aid arrives.

    Mr Cappelaere added that the outbreak might “spread beyond Yemen” and threaten its neighbours.

    “It is sad today, but we hope the cholera outbreak will be the turning point in turning people’s attention to Yemen.

    Cholera is not going to be stopped by any border,” he warned.

    Three years of war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced three million more and devastated the country’s health sector and economy.

    Mr Cappelaere said that the outbreak is the latest horror faced by Yemeni children, on top of starvation, militias’ recruitment of youngsters and child marriages.

    http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-e384-War-shattered-Yemen-in-grip-of-cholera-epidemic#.WTVlrtykIdU

    Like

  4. Pingback: ISIS, Trump’s bombs kill Syrian civilians | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  5. Pingback: Saudi government kills Yemeni civilians with German weapons | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.