By Rebecca Shapiro in the USA:
04/04/2017 01:45 am ET
Hyundai Pulls Upcoming Ads From ‘O’Reilly Factor’ Amid ‘Disturbing’ Allegations
The decision comes after a bombshell New York Times investigation into sexual harassment claims made against Fox News host Bill O’Reilly.
The decision came after Mercedes-Benz withdrew its advertising spots following a New York Times investigation that reported Bill O’Reilly and Fox News had paid about $13 million in settlements to address sexual harassment and other behavioral complaints brought forth by five women who previously worked with the host.
New York Times reporter Emily Steel, who co-bylined the bombshell report, tweeted Hyundai’s statement late Monday night. The automaker said it had upcoming spots planned for “The O’Reilly Factor,” but would reallocate them after learning about the “recent and disturbing allegations.”
Mercedes-Benz shared a similar sentiment on Monday.
“The allegations are disturbing and, given the importance of women in every aspect of our business, we don’t feel this is a good environment in which to advertise our products right now,” Mercedes-Benz spokeswoman Donna Boland said.
In a statement to The New York Times, O’Reilly denied the harassment allegations, adding that his role at the network made him a target. …
O’Reilly’s show is considered the most valuable to the news network, raking in millions of viewers each night during a coveted primetime spot. Fox News reportedly extended his contract, which was set to expire this year.
‘O’Reilly Factor’ Loses About 15 Advertisers. Here Are The Ones That Stayed. The exodus comes after new revelations about sexual harassment claims against the Fox News host: here.
WILL BILL O’REILLY MAKE IT THROUGH THIS SCANDAL? Media reporter Michael Calderone breaks down why this harassment scandal is different. At least 40 advertisers have pulled their ads from his show. But President Trump defended the Fox News host, saying “I don’t think Bill did anything wrong.” [HuffPost]
Fox has hired the firm that investigated sexual harassment claims against Roger Ailes to look into Bill O’Reilly.
BILL O’REILLY ANNOUNCED VACATION PLANS Amid news he may not have a job when he returns. [HuffPost]
BILL O’REILLY REPORTEDLY ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK Multiple outlets are reporting that the Murdoch family is leaning toward axing O’Reilly. The reports follow a new claim by attorney Lisa Bloom, who said the TV host used to call a black woman “hot chocolate.” [HuffPost]
And the news for Fox keeps going from bad to worse: former Fox News host Alisyn Camerota accused former CEO Roger Ailes of sexually harassing her and a Fox News contributor also leveled sexual harassment claims against host Sean Hannity. And cable rivals are circling for those primetime viewers. [HuffPost]
MORE BAD REVELATIONS FOR FOX The company has now paid $45 million for Roger Ailes’ sexual harassment settlements, and reports have surfaced about an incident where Bill O’Reilly dragged his ex-wife down the stairs. [HuffPost]