Yemen war, Donald Trump and US media


This video from the USA says about itself:

Who Cares About Yemen’s War, Trump is Person of the Year!

11 December 2016

While the left and the right throw mud at each other, people are starving to death in Yemen. Francis Maxwell calls out the mainstream media for their lack of coverage of the mass starvation in Yemen.

The United States has decided to limit military support to Saudi Arabia’s campaign in Yemen because of concerns over widespread civilian casualties and will halt a planned arms sale to the kingdom, U.S. officials told Reuters: here.

1 thought on “Yemen war, Donald Trump and US media

  1. Wednesday, 14 December 2016 YEMENI DEMANDS US APOLOGY FOR DRONE STRIKE A YEMENI civilian who lost two innocent relatives in a 2012 covert drone strike has written to President Obama to ask for an apology – in return for which he will drop a court case, due to be heard in Washington DC.

    Faisal bin ali Jaber lost his brother-in-law – a preacher who campaigned against Al Qaeda – and his nephew, a local policeman, in a strike on the village of Kashamir in Yemen on August 29, 2012.

    Jaber, an environmental engineer, was to travel to Washington DC yesterday to attend what would be the first ever US appellate court hearing in a case brought by a civilian victim of the covert drone programme. However, Jaber has written to the President to inform him that he will ‘happily drop the case in exchange for an apology,’ and acknowledgment that his brother-in-law Salem and nephew Waleed ‘were innocents, not terrorists’.

    Jaber met members of Congress and Obama Administration officials in 2013, but did not receive either an explanation or apology for the strike which killed his relatives.In 2014, his family was offered $100,000 in US dollar bills in a meeting with the Yemeni National Security Bureau (NSB) – during which the Yemeni government official informed them that the money came from the US and he had been asked to pass it along.

    Again, there was no acknowledgement or apology from the US. In his letter sent this weekend to the President, Jaber pointed out that ‘true accountability comes from owning up to our mistakes.’

    He asked Obama to set a precedent for his successors by acknowledging the error that killed his relatives, apologising, and disclosing details of the operation that killed them so that lessons can be learned.

    Jaber also requested that before leaving office, President Obama release more detailed information on civilian casualties from drone strikes, including the names of who was counted and who was not.

    Commenting, Jennifer Gibson, staff attorney at international human rights organisation Reprieve which is assisting Jaber, said: ‘President Obama is right to be worried about what a Trump Administration might do with his secret drone programme.

    ‘But if he is serious about bringing it out of the shadows, he must stop fighting against accountability. He must own up to the hundreds of civilians that even the most conservative estimates say the programme has killed, and apologise to those that have lost their loved ones.

    ‘Faisal’s relatives took great risks speaking out against Al Qaeda, and trying to keep their community safe. Yet they were killed by an out of control drone programme which made appalling errors and did more harm than good. Instead of fighting Faisal in court, President Obama should simply apologise, admit his mistake, and devote the rest of his time in office to building true accountability into a programme hidden in the shadows for too long.’

    Meanwhile, Saudi military aircraft reportedly pounded the Yemeni province of Sana’a for several hours on Monday, in an unprecedented wave of bombardments against the country over the past months. In the early hours of Monday, the warplanes carried out as many as 25 back-to-back airstrikes against various districts of the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, local media reported.

    Taking the brunt of the attacks was the capital’s Wadi Sar District, which was struck 13 times. There have been no immediate reports of possible casualties. The assaults also hit Bani Matar District, the presidential palace and the capital’s Sabain Square, leaving two civilians dead.

    Sabain Square came under attack only hours after the leader of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement, Abdul-Malik Badreddin al-Houthi, delivered a speech to a large Yemeni crowd to mark the anniversary of the birth of Prophet Muhammad.

    Also on Sunday, Saudi jets targeted the city of Sa’ada in northwestern Yemen six times, killing four civilians and injuring a number of others. Riyadh’s attacks have killed at least 11,400 people in the kingdom’s impoverished neighbour since March 2015, according to the latest tally by a Yemeni monitoring group.

    The Saudi campaign was launched with the aim of reinstating Yemen’s former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi. Hadi, a dedicated Riyadh ally, resigned last year, ignoring calls to reverse the decision and fled to the Saudi capital. He later returned to the country’s port city of Aden.

    Hadi has rejected a United Nations peace roadmap, saying the initiative favours Ansarullah, a Houthi movement which has been defending the country against the Saudi invasion.

    http://wrp.org.uk/news/12770

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.