This video, recorded in the USA, says about itself:
25 November 2015
Chicago Mayor Fires City Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy
The officer has faced harsh criticism in the wake of the Laquan McDonald shooting.
Posted: 12/01/2015 11:59 AM EST | Edited: 8 minutes ago
CHICAGO — The Chicago Police Department‘s top cop has been fired.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel said at a press conference Tuesday that he had fired Superintendent Garry McCarthy. The 56-year-old has faced harsh criticism for his handling of the high-profile shooting of Laquan McDonald, a black teenager shot 16 times in 2014 by a Chicago police officer.
Last Tuesday, McCarthy and Emanuel appeared in a joint press conference ahead of release of the damming dashcam footage that both the department and the mayor’s office had tried to keep from going public. The video shows the officer, Jason Van Dyke, shooting the teen in the middle of the street as he walks away from police.
Emanuel’s hand-picked McCarthy as the city’s top cop in 2011.
This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.
This is a photo of a demonstration in Chicago against the killing of Laquan McDonald. The sign alludes to the racist organisation K[u] K[lux] K[lan].
Police chief’s resignation spurs demands that Chicago cops’ secret facility be closed: here.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel fired Garry McCarthy, the Chicago police superintendent, on Tuesday in an effort to appease mounting popular anger over police violence and the cover-up of the killing of Laquan McDonald: here.
DOJ TO INVESTIGATE CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT The Department of Justice will look into the misuse of “deadly force, discriminatory policing and internal misconduct to determine if they amount to civil rights violations.” The Chicago police department has been under fire after it reportedly buried the video of an officer shooting a teenager 16 times. [Kim Bellware, HuffPost]
Prosecutors Release Video Of Chicago Police Fatally Shooting Black Man. The Cook County state’s attorney will not file criminal charges against the officer: here.
In a press conference Monday, Anita Alvarez, Cook County state attorney, announced that no charges would be brought against George Hernandez, the Chicago police officer who shot and killed Ronald Johnson III, a 25-year-old man, in October 2014. In her 75-minute briefing, Alvarez showed footage of the killing from a police dashcam, previously barred from release, and sought to justify the state attorney office’s decision: here.
US border agents cleared of charges in murder of immigrant Anastasio Hernandez-Rojas: here.