This is a video of Dr Martin Luther King Jr, saying during the March on Washington in the USA: ‘Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last’!
From daily The Independent in Britain:
Shaker Aamer released: After 13 years in Guantanamo, final British detainee lands at Biggin Hill
Mr Aamer was never convicted of any crimes
Rose Troup Buchanan
2 hours ago
The last British resident detained in Guantanamo landed in the UK on Friday after spending 13 years imprisoned in Cuba.
Shaker Aamer, 48, landed at Biggin Hill airport at around 2pm in a private Gulfstream IV jet.
Security at the airport, located in south east London, was tight with journalists and even Mr Aamer’s lawyer Clive Stafford Smith denied entry.
“He needs, first, to be in a hospital, and then to be with his family,” Clive Stafford Smith, told an Associated Press reporter.
Mr Aamer will be taken for a health check-up before returning to his home in Battersea, south London.
During his time in Guantanamo, an independent doctor who examined him warned his health had rapidly deteriorated in the past eight years.
Dr Emily Keram, a US doctor who visited him during his imprisonment, diagnosed Mr Aamer with acute post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), migraines, digestive problems, swelling, asthma and tinnitus. She recommended urgent treatment.
Mr Aamer was cleared for release from the notorious US detention centre in Cuba in 2007, but it would be a further eight years before American officials allowed his transfer.
A Saudi citizen, Mr Aamer has four children with his British wife and has been granted permanent British residency. He has never met his youngest son, born after he was captured in Afghanistan in 2002 and then imprisoned by the US government.
Pingback: Innocent Guantanamo prisoner free at last | Dear Kitty. Some blog | sdbast
Pingback: Shaker Aamer, from Guantanámo torture to hospital | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Tuesday 17th November 2015
posted by Morning Star in World
FIVE prisoners held without charge for more than 13 years at the US torture camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba were released at the weekend and sent to the United Arab Emirates.
The five Yemeni men, identified as Ali al-Razihi, Khalid al-Qadasi, Adil al-Busays, Sulayman al-Nahdi and Fahmi al-Asani, were accepted for resettlement in the UAE after US authorities determined that they no longer posed a threat, the Defence Department said.
Their release reduces the Guantanamo prison population to 107.
All five were arrested in the wake of the US invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and were described in US military assessments as low-level fighters.
None has been charged with any crime, having been detained under the catch-all category of enemy combatants.
Washington said that the men could not have been sent to their homeland because it considers Yemen too unstable to accept prisoners from Guantanamo amid an ongoing Saudi-led war against Shi’ite rebels there.
Pingback: Guantanamo Bay torture, stop cover up | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Guantánamo, Cuban views, new film | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Will Trump destroy CIA torture evidence? | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: CIA-United States corporate media revolving door | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Trump jails more immigrant children than previously reported | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Guantanamo torture camp still open | Dear Kitty. Some blog