Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands today, 11:45:
Turkey has blocked access to Twitter. Thus, the authorities want to prevent sharing of photos and videos of the attack in the border town Suruç. Turks also have limited access to Facebook.
Earlier today, a judge ruled that websites and social media are not allowed to display these images. Once all the videos and photos would be removed, the blockade could be lifted.
On Twitter there were also calls to protest against the government. People who posted those messages thought that the government has done too little to prevent the bombing.
The attack in Suruç, near the Syrian border, was on the day before yesterday. 32 people died. There were at least 100 people wounded.
Suruç Bomber Was Known To Turkish Security Services: here.
Pingback: Turkish government censors truth on ISIS massacre in Suruç | Mon site officiel / My official website
Thursday 23rd July 2015
posted by Morning Star in World
by Our Foreign Desk
ANKARA blocked access to Twitter yesterday to prevent images of Monday’s bombing in Suruc that killed 32 people being broadcast.
The official Anadolou news agency said that authorities were also trying to block Twitter users from calling for protests against the government for not doing more to prevent the bombing.
Officials had speculated that the bombing was part of a campaign of retaliation by Islamic State (Isis) for a recent crackdown on its operations in Turkey.
More than 500 people suspected of working with Isis have been arrested in the last six months, according to government data.
Protests have erupted in Istanbul and other cities since the bombings, with demonstrators shouting slogans blaming the government for the attack.
Police detained 30 people on Tuesday before they could march to a local office in Istanbul of the ruling AKP party.
Protesters also threw fireworks as police officers attempted to disperse the crowd at another protest in the city.
A court in Suruc issued a ban earlier on the publication of images related to the bombing in the media, including the internet and social media platforms, ruling that access be barred to internet sites that do not comply with the ban.
A government official said that Ankara had asked Twitter to remove 107 URLs with images of the aftermath of the bombing.
Twitter had removed 50 of the URLs and was working to remove the remaining problematic URLs. Speedy removal would provide for access to be restored.
Pingback: Investigate ISIS activities in Turkey, MP asks | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Turkish government bombs ISIS opponents in Iraq | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Turkish government attacks anti-ISIS Syrian Kurds | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Erdogan, stop bombing Kurds in Iraq, Iraqi government says | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Turkish government fights WordPress and Kurds, not ISIS | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Turkish government, more war and oppression | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Turkish elections again, dictatorship or democracy, war or peace? | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Refugee news, from Syria to Britain | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Terrorist massacre and government censorship in Turkey | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Turkish anti-terror protests and governmental repression | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Swedish nazis’ anti-refugee arson | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Pro-refugee demonstration in Dutch The Hague | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Dutch Muslims commemorate Paris terrorism victims | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: 32 years in Thai jail for Facebook like? | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Now flowers instead of racist violence for Syrian refugee in the Netherlands | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Bulgarian xenophobic paramilitarists handcuff Afghan war refugees | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: WikiLeaks publishes many Turkish regime emails | Dear Kitty. Some blog