This video is called SAVE OUR SHARKS! Massive Protest On Australian Beach After Government Calls For Shark Cull.
From AFP news agency today:
Thousands rally against shark cull in Australia
1 hour ago
Thousands of people rallied across Australia Saturday against a controversial shark culling policy designed to prevent attacks, saying killing the marine animals was the not the answer.
The controversial policy to catch and kill sharks off popular west coast beaches was given the green light last month after six fatal attacks in the past two years.
It is aimed at reducing the risks to water users and allows baited drum lines with hooks designed to capture large sharks to be set one kilometre (0.62 miles) offshore at busy Western Australian beaches for a trial period until April 30.
Opponents claim the trial flies in the face of international obligations to protect the great white shark.
Anthony Joyce, who was attacked by a shark off a Sydney beach last October, once shared the Western Australian government’s views on culling the animals, but after doing extensive research he now disagrees.
“The amount of sharks they are going to kill is going to make no difference in the scheme of things,” he told reporters at Manly.
After speaking with shark experts and marine biologists, he now believes greater government support for marine biology programmes and shark education in schools is the way to go.
Another protestor in Manly, Katherine Cook, said she was outraged at the shark killings.
“I’m really angry and incensed that we can’t co-exist with anything,” she said.
“We are going into their (sharks) environment. Why can’t we co-exist?”
At Cottesloe, a female activist chained herself to a fisheries boat to prevent it leaving to set and monitor baited hooks off the coast, the ABC reported.
While sharks are common in Australian waters, deadly attacks are rare, with only one of the average 15 incidents a year typically proving fatal.
In first 3 weeks of West Australia shark cull, majority of sharks caught were still undersized: here.
Western Australia’s bid to extend its controversial shark-cull programme of catching, destroying and dumping sharks of more than 3m in length by another three years is to be assessed by the State’s Environmental Protection Authority: here.
Freediver Lesley Rochat, known as the ‘shark warrior’, has taken part in a campaign entitled Get Hooked on Conservation, Ban Drumlines, which aims to stop the culling of sharks using drum lines in Western Australia and South Africa.: here