This video is called Sins of Our Fathers – BBC Scotland. It says about itself:
BBC Scotland Broadcast 29 July 2013
The shocking truth of physical and sexual abuse in one of Scotland’s most prestigious Catholic boarding schools.
Mark Daly uncovers the hidden story of Fort Augustus Abbey, the Catholic monks who ran it, and exposes those who turned a blind eye to the horrors within. He hears of stories of abuse that spanned decades and took him to the other side of the world to confront those responsible.
By Malcolm Burns in Britain:
Church criticised for failing abuse victims
Saturday 21st December 2013
Catholic church failing to offer support to victims of physical and sexual abuse
Three men were reported to Crown Office prosecutors on Thursday in connection with allegations of historic sexual and physical abuse at the Fort Augustus Abbey school and its preparatory school Carlekemp in the Highlands in the 1960s and 70s.
Donald MacLeod, who attended Fort Augustus Abbey school from the age of 14, in the early 1960s, told a BBC documentary team he had expected the church to “live up to their responsibility and do the Christianity thing and help people who in their care have suffered.”
A spokesman for the Catholic church said: “Those who have been affected by events at Fort Augustus have had opportunities to meet and talk with the appropriate people.”
Police Scotland have been investigating the case since March following a report from a former pupil and further allegations which came to light in a BBC documentary in July.
The investigation concerns monks who taught at the former Catholic boarding school.
An 80-year-old man was charged in September.
A Police Scotland spokesman said: “This is very much an ongoing investigation which was initiated by Highland and Islands division in March 2013 and has extended to liaison with a number of law enforcement agencies both across and out with the UK.
“We understand that it is very difficult for victims of abuse to speak about their experiences and a helpline run by Children 1st is available to provide support and advice to those who may be affected by the investigation.”
- Police are investigating claims of sexual and physical abuse by monks at former Catholic boarding school (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Bishop of Aberdeen to apologise to parishioners over alleged sexual abuse at former Catholic boarding school (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Catholic church calls in ex-moderator (bbc.co.uk)
- Claims of sexual abuse at Catholic boarding school investigated (news.stv.tv)
- Bishop apologises to Fort Augustus Abbey School abuse victims (news.stv.tv)
- Fort Augustus school abuse claims: Commissioner calls for inquiry (schoolsimprovement.net)