This video is called French minister riles EU over Roma remarks.
Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:
Sentence proposed against Le Pen: two months suspended prison
Added: Friday 15 Nov 2013, 15:03
Update: Friday 15 Nov 2013, 15:17
The public prosecutor has demanded a two-month suspended prison sentence for the former leader of the French National Front, Jean-Marie Le Pen, in a discrimination case. Le Pen is on trial because he said about Roma that they “steal like ravens.” According to Le Pen, Roma are thieves “because of their nature”.
The prosecutor also demanded a suspended fine of 10,000 euros. She thinks that the court must take into account the history of Le Pen, who has been convicted often because of discriminatory and racist statements.
The verdict will be on December 19.
The furore over Roma in Sheffield is based on myths that recall previous race scares, writes Sadie Robinson: here.
At the end of November, right-wing extremist Marian Kotleba won the runoff election for the presidency of the regional administration in Banská Bystrica in central Slovakia. Kotleba won 55.2 percent of the vote, against 44.5 percent for the social democratic incumbent, Vladimir Manka. Turnout was just 24.6 percent: here.
- French government’s racist deportation of schoolgirl Leonarda (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Geert Wilders invites Nigel Farage to join anti-EU alliance (telegraph.co.uk)
- Le Pen Sees Once-Outcast Party Ruling France in 10 Years (bloomberg.com)
- Le Pen and Wilders forge plan to ‘wreck’ EU from within (theguardian.com)
- The rise of the far right: a European problem requiring European solutions | John Palmer (theguardian.com)
- Nigel Farage insists UKIP has no plans to join international far-right alliance (itv.com)
- VIDEO: Le Pen and Wilders seek closer ties (bbc.co.uk)
- Anti-Roma racism in Europe (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Litigating anti-Roma hate speech poses huge challenges (irishtimes.com)