This video from Australia is called Bahraini democracy activist addresses Sydney May Day.
From IANS news agency in India:
Bahrain trade union condemns Indian’s death
Following the death of Jijo Varghese Cherian Oct 21 in a fire that broke out at the Al Namal Contracting and Trading Company in Nuwaidrat, where he was working, the General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions (GFBTU) Wednesday expressed concern at the working conditions of the workshops across the country, the Gulf Daily News reported.
Labour ministry officials during their visit to the site reportedly found lapses in the company’s safety norms.
Cherian reportedly got trapped inside the pit of the workshop along with two of his colleagues – Aby Mathew and Thomas Parackal George – when the fire broke out.
His two colleagues managed to escape and tried to pull out Cherian but were beaten back by the flames and smoke.
Cherian, 21, suffered severe burns and succumbed to his injuries at Salmaniya Medical Complex in Manama.
“The GFBTU has repeatedly warned of these kind of tragedies, especially in high-risk workplaces such as workshops, garages and factories,” GFBTU assistant secretary-general Mohammed Mahdi was quoted as saying.
“To undertake our ethical and human roles, we in the GFBTU will hide no effort to monitor, analyse and report such cases aiming to reduce more victims at work environments,” he said.
Cherian’s body was repatriated to the south Indian state of Kerala Wednesday.
Bahrain teargas stockpile plan faces international opposition: here.
Bahrain interior ministry allegedly ordered 1.6 million teargas canisters to use against protesters, and South Korean company DaeKwang is believed to be one of the major suppliers. R. Elgin wrote in Marmot’s Hole blog about the ironic history of tear gas– a notorious symbol of Korean government’s clampdowns back in 70-80s becoming a money-maker nowadays. Earlier this month, net users tweeted photos of protesters outside the Korean embassy in London, calling Korean companies to stop selling toxic gas: here.
Bahraini Opposition Shuns Bogus Dialogue: here.
Wikileaks Assange sends package to imprisoned Bahraini activist: here.
- Kerala youth dies of burns in Bahrain (thehindu.com)
- No teargas for Bahraini dictatorship, Korean trade unions say (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship’s witch-hunt against foreign workers (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain Opposition Figure Denies Backing Violence – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
- Guatemala: most dangerous country in the world to be a trade unionist (waterandpolitics.wordpress.com)
- ITUC : New Structure to strengthen democratic and independent trade unionism in the Arab countries (talkingunion.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship’s South Korean teargas (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- MEP: ‘Stop the export of teargas to Bahrain’ (marietjeschaake.eu)
- What We Can Do (normanfinkelstein.com)
- Bahrain absolute monarchy update (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)