This video from France is called Christiane Taubira‘s speech introducing the French same-sex marriage bill (with English subtitles).
From AFP news agency:
Christiane Taubira, French Justice Minister, Compared To Monkey By Far Right Politician Anne Leclere
10/18/2013 3:07 pm EDT …
The National Front [FN] recently won a key by-election and is tipped to be the leading French party in European elections also due next year, according to a new poll.
Anne-Sophie Leclere, the FN candidate for Rethel in the northeastern Ardennes region provoked a storm by comparing Justice Minister Christiane Taubira to a monkey on French television.
She has also owned up to a photo-montage showing Taubira, who is from French Guiana, alongside a baby monkey which was posted on her Facebook page.
The caption underneath the baby monkey said “At 18 months,” while the one under Taubira’s photograph read “Now”.
The 33-year-old mother-of-three told France 2’s Envoye Special (Special Correspondent) programme she would prefer to see Taubira “in a tree swinging from the branches rather than in government.” …
The incident came on the heels of insults and attacks against Italy’s first black minister, Cecile Kyenge, which sparked a pledge by 17 European countries to fight racism.
The attacks against the Congolese-born Kyenge have ranged from a senior member of the far-right Northern League party likening her to an orangutan, to having bananas thrown at her and nooses hung in a town where she was due to speak. …
From the Daily Telegraph in Britain:
Miss Taubira, France’s justice minister, said in response to the monkey slur that it showed the FN’s “lethal and murderous” views could be summed up as follows: “It’s the blacks into the branches of the trees, the Arabs into the sea, the homosexuals into the river Seine, the Jews into the ovens and so on.”
Marine Le Pen, National Front party boss, has now sued Ms Taubira for “defamation”. Like Le Pen’s Greek Golden Dawn fascist colleagues have sued a Jewish Greek for calling them fascists.
French magazine faces legal inquiry over racist slur against politician. Far-right Minute magazine’s cover calls justice minister Christiane Taubira ‘crafty as a monkey’: here.
- French weekly in racist probe after “monkey” cover (worldbulletin.net)
- Far-Right French Magazine Under Investigation After Racist Cover (huffingtonpost.com)
- French Politician Suspended For Calling Nation’s 1st Black Minister ‘Monkey’ (atlantablackstar.com)
- France opens racism probe into far-right magazine (dailystar.com.lb)
- ▶ French front page accused of racist slur as government launches investigation. – YouTube (innerstandingisness.com)
- Outrage in France over new slur on black minister (nation.co.ke)
- French magazine faces legal inquiry over racist slur against politician (theguardian.com)