It is in support of a military dictatorship.
It brings death, mainly to Malian civilians.
This war is a neo-colonial war.
The French Foreign Legion became infamous in the nineteenth century for its atrocities while imposing colonial rule in Algeria and elsewhere. Now, it plays a role in twenty-first century neo-colonialism as well.
Translated from Dutch NOS TV today:
The idea is to send from 300 to 400 soldiers.
These include the elite units of commandos and marines. they should gather intelligence in northern Mali, using four Apache helicopters. Army and police instructors should go to train the Malian army and police.
Within weeks, the government will decide on the details of the contribution.
- “Army Bosses Steal N320,000″ From Each Of Nigeria’s Mali to Borno Drafted Soldiers (newsrescue.com)
- ‘France to keep 2,000 troops in Mali’ (rinf.com)
- France to keep 2,000 troops in Mali until end of year (modernghana.com)
- UN Says it Needs More Troops, Equipment in Mali After Recent Attacks (reason.com)
- UN asks for more troops for Mali force (rinf.com)
- Gun battle erupts in northern Mali (bbc.co.uk)