This video from Belgium says about itself:
In Brussels, demonstrators linked the rise of the far-right to the financial crisis.
One protestor summed up the feeling of those on the streets:
“The situation in Greece is very worrying with the growing far-right and the fascists from Golden Dawn. We’re very scared and worried about the situation in Europe as a whole, you see that the crisis draws more and more people to the right through despair because of austerity.”
A Greek woman in the city said she is devastated by what is happening in her country: “With the rise of Golden Dawn and the way things are going in Greece, we expected something like this to happen. I hope this is the end. The whole political and economic situation is a nightmare and I just want it to end.”
It is alleged Fyssas was stabbed to death by a self-confessed Golden Dawn member as he left a bar in a suburb of Athens in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Report from the anti-fascist demonstration in Athens September 25: here.
From Dawn of the Greeks blog:
A group of special forces calls on the government to resign
Posted on September 26, 2013 by dawnofthegreeks
A group who calls itself special forces reserve union (KEED) published yesterday on its website a text with 15 demands, calling on the government and the president … to resign. Among these demands are the suspension of all laws relating to the memorandum and country’s debt as well as the expulsion of immigrants. Furthermore they also mention the exclusion from political life [of] all of those who participated in governments in the past years … According to Ggreek websites, the group has called for a strange manifestation on the 28th of September in front of parliament in order to demand the immediate resign of the government.
A prosecutor in Athens has already ordered an investigation of the group and its website, where the text is published. Government members and judicial authors met late last night in order to discuss the new “crisis” into political life of Greece, as well as to investigate how serious for the democratic system these threats would be. According to tvxs.gr, this new provocation from this strange group of special forces is coming a while after the government’s initiatives to stop ultra right violence in the country.
More information and the 15 demands of the group here.
Greece’s democracy in danger, warns Demos, as Greek reservists call for coup: here.
Greece: darkness at dawn: here.
Greece investigates police links to far-right party after killing: here.
Greece, in Anti-Fascist Crackdown, Investigates Police: here.
Roma under attack in Greece speak out – ‘We are human and we want justice’: here.
- Greek nazis and Greek police update (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Fascism On The Rise In Crisis Riven Greece – OpEd (eurasiareview.com)
- 50.000 march on Golden Dawn headquarters in Athens (roarmag.org)
- Anti-fascist protests in Greece (radionz.co.nz)
- Antifascist protest against the murder of Greek activist by Golden Dawn, Saturday 21.9, 13.00, The Foutnains (realdemocracybristol.wordpress.com)
- Greek strike resists Nazis (socialistworker.co.uk)
- Greek Minister to Golden Dawn: Walk Out of Parliament, Please (world.time.com)
- Their “Fight” comes to an end, but the damage is still there (nyx20.wordpress.com)
- Greece launches inquiry into claims Golden Dawn trained by armed forces (theguardian.com)
- How I was knifed by Golden Dawn supporters – video interview (theguardian.com)