This is a video by Silvia Hellingman from the Netherlands about two vinegar flies in love.
During mating, the female dies.
The male then tries for four hours to wake her up with kisses.
He does that so intensely that he does not see a mite approaching. The mite then kills the male fruit fly.
Fruit flies with better sex lives live longer: here.
- Tiny Asian Fruit Fly Threatens UK Fruit Crops (natureworldnews.com)
- Q&A: Ferns that like dry shade; preventing wormy berries (seattletimes.com)
- Integrating Circadian Activity and Gene Expression Profiles to Predict Chronotoxicity of Drosophila suzukii Response to Insecticides (plosone.org)
- Flying Insects (pesproppt.wordpress.com)
- Drosophila pseudoobscura: a model fruit fly for the real world (blogs.scientificamerican.com)
- New Asian fruit fly poses threat to Tennessee crops (timesfreepress.com)
- Fly (ejournalscambridge.wordpress.com)