This video is called Speed Kills : This is Why You Can’t Outrun a Cheetah.
From Wildlife Extra:
Iranian cheetahs need large and secure reserves to ensure their survival
Study reveals that cheetahs struggle to survive in small and fragmented reserves
Analysis of more than 100 cheetah individuals recorded during past decade in Iran indicates that a reserves’ size and integrity can contribute to better survival rates of the critically endangered Asiatic cheetahs in Iran.
Kavir, Turan and Naybandan are the most important large sites for the cheetahs in the country. However, in contrast, cheetahs occurring within smaller areas have been recorded on camera traps for shorter periods, normally less than two years. The maximum known presence of a cheetah in smaller areas is around three years.
Cover large distances
The Asiatic cheetahs are known to walk long distances and cover large areas in search for food, safety and a mate. Accordingly, the smaller their habitat, the greater the necessity that they will be forced outside of protected areas, thus encountering people and roads. And whilst smaller reserves have a significantly better law enforcement, the cheetahs are often do not make it back inside the security of the reserve.
Jointly conducted by Conservation of Asiatic Cheetah project (CACP) and the Iranian Cheetah Society (ICS), the research reveals high importance of large and intact areas for securing longer survival of the cheetahs in Iran. Moreover, a network of smaller reserves which are inter-connected can be crucial to help save the cheetahs‘ lives.
George Schaller, @IndyPrize winner, works to save Iran’s wild cheetahs: here.
September 2013. A new research study has revealed that the cheetah, the world’s fastest land animal, matches and may even anticipate the escape tactics of different prey when hunting, rather than just relying on its speed and agility, as previously thought: here.
- CheetahCheetahCheetah (emilylonkhurst.wordpress.com)
- 18 Amazing Camera Trap Photos From the Serengeti (newswatch.nationalgeographic.com)
- Cheetah Triplets Thriving at Zoo in Austria (news.softpedia.com)
- World in Pictures, August 09, 2013: Pandas, Cheetahs and Protests (walesonline.co.uk)
- Devin Hester To Race Against Cheetah (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Purrrfect! Cheetah cubs get their claws into meaty first birthday gifts (metro.co.uk)
- Iranian Cheetah Conservation Day (payvand.com)
- Albino jackal in Iran (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Cheetahs on the brink (4thenaturesake.wordpress.com)
- “Cheetah conservation day’s manifest” (greatcatsoftheworld.wordpress.com)