This video is called Woman Sent To Jail For Getting Raped – Marte Deborah Dalelv.
From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Raped Norwegian warns about Dubai
Sunday 21 July 2013
by Our Foreign Desk
A Norwegian woman who was given a 16-month jail term in Dubai after reporting being raped has warned other outsiders about misunderstanding the city’s legal system.
Marte Deborah Dalelv had worked for an interior design firm in Qatar since 2011 and said she was sexually assaulted by a coworker while on a business trip to Dubai.
She said she fled down to the hotel reception, where staff questioned her desire to report the incident to the police.
Police gave the 24-year-old a medical examination and blood test for alcohol, she said.
She was then detained for four days, accused of having sex outside of marriage – a crime not normally pressed against foreigners.
“And then I went back and I … just had a breakdown. It was very emotional, to call my dad and tell him what happened.”
Diplomats managed to secure her release and she is staying at the Norwegian Seamen’s Centre in Dubai while she prepares her September appeal.
Ms Dalelv said the man who attacked her was handed a 13-month sentence – three fewer than she got – for extra-marital sex and alcohol consumption.
Norwegian Foreign Minister Espen Barth said: “This verdict flies in the face of our notion of justice,” calling it “highly problematic from a human rights perspective.”
- Woman Jailed in Dubai After Reporting Rape (newser.com)
- Marte’s Dubai rape nightmare (smh.com.au)
- Dubai jails Norwegian woman for illicit sex after she reports rape (thestar.com)
- Jailed in Dubai over rape report (theage.com.au)
- Norwegian woman: I was raped in Dubai, now I face prison sentence – CNN (edition.cnn.com)
- Marte Deborah Dalelv: Norwegian woman’s16-month sentence in Dubai after rape claim draws outrage (cbsnews.com)