This video says about itself:
Mar 3, 2010
Thousands of Afghan refugees fleeing ethnic attacks in Afghanistan have landed in Greece, a signatory to the EU convention on refugee protection. They have been attacked by racist gangs, sometimes aided by Greek police. The Greek government provides few or no basic services required by the EU convention. It is a human rights disaster ignored by most governments, NGOs, and the media.
From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Greek border guards abusing asylum-seekers
Tuesday 09 July 2013
Refugees trying to reach Greece from conflict-torn countries are being unlawfully returned to Turkey by Greek coast and border guards, Amnesty International warned today.
The rights group highlighted the dangers that refugees and migrants face when trying to cross from Turkey to the Greek islands and also the appalling detention conditions those who make it are held in.
Amnesty says that many people who tried to cross the Aegean or the northern land border between the two countries along the river Evros have experienced or witnessed abuse by the Greek authorities.
Guards had taken their belongings, including money, family photos and heirlooms and, in some cases, thrown them into the sea.
“It suggests that the Greek authorities are employing this practice on a regular basis, despite the fact that it is unlawful.
“And it is also extremely dangerous – to the point where it puts people’s lives seriously at risk.”
Those who do make it to Greece are routinely detained in dark, dirty cells for long periods.
Ms Tigani said: “The conditions refugees and migrants are being held in are often appalling.
“Many of them are fleeing conflict, poverty and hunger, but too often they are being held in dark, dirty, damp cells, with limited access to fresh air and not enough food.
“It is obviously Greece’s prerogative to control its borders, but not at the expense of human rights.”
- Greek Authorities Put Lives in Danger by Pushing Refugees and Migrants Back to Turkey (greece.greekreporter.com)
- Greece shuts the doors for Syrian refugees (english.pravda.ru)
- Syrian war refugees ill-treated in Greece (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Re-blog: Into The Fire – refugees and migrants in Greece (refugeearchives.wordpress.com)
- Greek government crackdown on immigrants (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Greek police “push back” boats of Syrian refugees, leading to many deaths (findingrefugeus.wordpress.com)
- Boat Carrying Afghan Refugees Sinks off in Turkey and Greece Waters (greece.greekreporter.com)
- Amnesty report rebukes EU for ‘failing to guarantee’ the safety of asylum seekers (irishtimes.com)
- Turkish woman beaten by Greek police in custody (worldbulletin.net)