Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:
Thursday 4 Jul 2013, 12:55
The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has bought a painting by Jan Mostaert. It is the Episode from the Conquest of America. The canvas was painted around the year 1535, some forty years after Columbus discovered America.
The museum does not disclose how much it paid for this work by the Haarlem painter.
Episode from the Conquest of America was part of the Goudstikker Collection, which was confiscated by the nazis during World War II. After the war, the painting was acquired by the Dutch government and hung in the Frans Hals Museum. In 2006 it was returned to the heirs of art dealer Goudstikker.
People can see this work by Jan Mostaert from today on in the Rijksmuseum.
According to Wikipedia, this painting probably depicts conflict between Spanish conquistador Coronado and the people of the Zuni pueblos in New Mexico.
- Day 91: A Day at the Rijksmuseum (worldwithwatsons.wordpress.com)
- Now available: 3,500 images of paintings from the Rijksmuseum’s permanent collection (artstor.wordpress.com)
- Rijksmuseum in Holland’s Clever Advertising Stunt (gottopickapocketortwo.com)
- Lucas van Leyden “Passion of Christ” Engraving at Candlewood Galleries (candlewoodyankeefineart.wordpress.com)
- Controversy Over the Montezuma Exhibit in the British Museum (scm320.wordpress.com)
- At renovated Rijksmuseum, an account of centuries of Dutch globalization (ilg2.org)
- Seven Myths of the Spanish Conquest: episode one (theneverendingroads.wordpress.com)
- Blood, sweat and paint: Mexico’s art revolution comes to the Royal Academy (thetimes.co.uk)
You do great work bringing to attention m,any different things
The advantage of having various subjects in a blog is that if there no news on one subject, there probably is news on another subject 🙂
Pingback: Native American dogs’ Asian origins | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Ancient New Mexico turquoise archaeological discoveries | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Dutch seventeenth century painting acquired by Amsterdam museum | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: ‘James Whistler painting’ at Dutch museum a real Whistler | Dear Kitty. Some blog