More details about the “making of” on newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/06/18/how-a-stunning-aurora-video-was-made/.
The soft light of the arctic regions attracted me magically so that I decided to dedicate a project to it. Around the polar circle light occupies a very important role, especially in winter. During the freezing months the sun creeps only along the horizon providing thus long hours of this tender twilight that occurs before sunrise and after sunset. But the nights are even longer and then another special light brights up the sky: the aurora borealis. In this film I wanted to show how individual the northern lights are: they may dance very fast in a frenetic rhythm or explode in a red-purple firework or they may just glow greenish over the starry sky vaguely distinguishable by the human eye. Every night there is a different night show – if the polar lights appear as they use to be very shy divas.
As a non resident of the Arctic regions it was very difficult for me to hunt the northern lights. I travelled different times to the distant regions at the polar circle. It was not easy enduring the freezing temperatures and the darkness and sleeping in the tent or in the car when the harsh wind was shaking it too strong. But after a year I had the incredible luck to gather enough video material for this film project. Especially on my last trip to Tromsö in february 2013 I experienced incredible beautiful aurora borealis.
The surreal atmosphere of the landscapes is emphasized thanks to the wonderful music of the talented and creative composer Pablo Garmón vimeo.com/pablojgarmon.
- pic of the week: aurora borealis (melfunktion.wordpress.com)
- To Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Arctic (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Lights, camera, join the action (heraldnet.com)
- Gorgeous Footage of Last Weekend’s Surprise Aurora Borealis (io9.com)
- Will I see the northern lights tonight? (earthsky.org)
- Aurora Borealis (English) (northernqueens.wordpress.com)
- Solar storm triggers northern lights (local10.com)
- Aurora Borealis (zambavala.wordpress.com)
- Best places to see the northern lights (besttravelsite.wordpress.com)